Lots More Information
HowStuffWorks learns more about Dick Proenneke, who lived 30 years alone in Alaska as a survivalist and conservationist.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Survival Quiz
- Survival Skills Quiz
- How to Survive in the Jungle
- How to Avoid Hypothermia
- How to Survive a Sinking Ship
- How Desert Survival Works
- How can you tell if a bug is edible?
- If I kill an animal, can I eat it raw?
- How long can you go without food and water?
- What is the most important survival tool in the jungle?
- Would a knife or gun serve me better in the Alaskan wilderness?
- Callahan, Steven. Adrift: Seventy-Six Days Lost at Sea. ISBN# 0618257322
- Clark, Judi. "Review: Tami Oldham Ashcraft: Red Sky in Mourning." June 16, 2002.http://www.mostlyfiction.com/adventure/oldham-ashcraft.htm
- Cleland, Marie. "8 Incredible Survival Stories. Brave New Traveler.http://www.bravenewtraveler.com/2009/02/26/eight-incredible-survival-stories/
- Gonzales, Laurence. Deep Survival: Who Lives, Who Dies and Why. ISBN# 0393052761
- Hardcastle, Nate, Ed. The Best Adventure and Survival Stories 2003. ISBN# 1560255064
- Jones, Sam. "Man tells of surviving 70 days in outback on diet of frogs and snakes." The Guardian. April 14, 2006.http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2006/apr/14/australia.samjones
- Kamler, Kenneth. Surviving the Extremes: A Doctor's Journey to the Limits of Human Endurance. ISBN# 0312280777
- Kirsch, Jonathan. "Books Review: Nonfiction. A Powerful Story of Self-Discovery, Survival in the Wild." Los Angeles Times. January 26, 2004.http://www.ghinsberg.com/1o7/the-los-angeles-times.html
- Miller, Dorca, Ed. Rescue: Stories of Survival From Land and Sea. ISBN# 1560252588
- Morales, Tatiana. Amputee Aims to Scale New Peaks." CBS News. May 6, 2003.http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/05/06/earlyshow/living/main552498.shtml
- Nunn, Brett. Panic Rising: True Life Survivor Tales from the Great Outdoors. ISBN# 1570613508
- "Outback 'skeleton' recalls oreal. BBC News. April 14, 2006.http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4908896.stm
- Roberts, David and Clint Willis, Eds. Climb: Stories of Survival from Rock, Snow and Ice. ISBN# 1560252502
- Simpson, Joe. Touching the Void: The True Story of One Man's Miraculous Survival. ISBN# 0060730522
- Webster, Donovan. "Adventure on the High Seas." Reader's Digest.http://www.rd.com/your-america-inspiring-people-and-stories/adventures-on-the-high-seas/article131824.html
- Willis, Clint, Ed. Adrenaline 2002: The Year's Best Stories of Adventure and Survival. ISBN# 1560254130
- Willis, Clint. Epic: Stories of Survival from the World's Highest Peaks. ISBN# 1560251549
- Willis, Clint. Rough Water: Stories of Survival from the Sea. ISBN# 1560251743