Kenny Rogers said a good gambler knows when to walk away and knows when to run. A good outdoorsman or woman knows the same thing too.
Bracelet paracord has been used to snare a 14-foot alligator, but it's probably best to beat feet when a ferocious animal is coming at you full bore. Tie up your shoes real tight and be ready to run for dear life when the moment strikes. Paracord is a great replacement for busted shoelaces. Just hack off a piece, burn the ends and send them through [source: Survival Bracelet]. Then, take to your heels!
Author's Note: 10 Ways a Survival Bracelet Can Save Your Life
Long before he was solving whodunits as a member of the "Law & Order: SVU" team, rapper/actor Ice-T starred in a little action flick called "Surviving the Game." In it he played Jack Mason, a homeless man swept up off a Seattle street by a kindly entrepreneur (Rutger Hauer) who asks Mason to serve as his hunting guide during an excursion to a remote area of the Pacific Northwest. Once he gets there, it's not long before Mason realizes that the businessman and his pals -- a group that includes one Gary Busey -- will be hunting Mason for sport over the course of a leisurely long weekend. Relying on a mix of street smarts and Army training, Mason survives the "game," including a strange sequence of events that includes exploding SUVs, mano-a-mano fistfights and a backfiring gun. Ice-T doesn't need no stinking bracelet.
- Alvarez, Manny. "Hanging by a Thread: Flossing Your Teeth Can Save Your Life." Fox News. Feb. 27, 2007. (April 14, 2013) http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,254513,00.html
- Ciccone, Alicia. "Kurt Walchle, Survival Straps: The Bracelet That Can Save Your Life." HuffingtonPost. April 4, 2012. (April 14, 2013) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/04/survival-straps-bracelets_n_1401104.html?ref=topbar
- Collins, Lauren. "Out of the Wild: Bear Grylls." Men's Vogue. August 2007. (April 11, 2013) http://web.archive.org/web/20080316130100/http:/www.mensvogue.com/arts/articles/2007/08/grylls?currentPage=1
- Gunther, Shea. "8 Grossest Things Bear Grylls has Consumed." Mother Nature Network. Oct. 7, 2011. (April 11, 2013) http://www.mnn.com/lifestyle/arts-culture/stories/8-grossest-things-bear-grylls-has-consumed
- Monaghan, Glen. "Lean-to Shelter Construction." Midwest Native Skills Institute. (April 13, 2013) http://www.survivalschool.com/articles/Lean_to_Shelter_Construction.htm
- Operation Gratitude. "How to Make a Paracord Survival Bracelet." (April 14, 2013) http://www.operationgratitude.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/HowtoMakeaParacordSurvivalBracelet1.pdf
- Rogell, Eric. "The Fashion Accessory That Can Save Your Life." Discovery News. Nov. 29, 2011. (April 11, 2013) http://news.discovery.com/tech/gear-and-gadgets/the-fashion-accessory-that-can-save-your-life.htm
- Rugged Apparel. "Paracord Explained." (April 11, 2013) http://www.ruggedapparel.com/paracord-explained/
- Rosman, I. "fishing with bottom gillnets." Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. (April 14, 2013) http://www.fao.org/docrep/003/X6935E/X6935E00.HTM
- Stewart, Creek. "How to Build a Small Game Survival Snare." The Art of Manliness. March 29, 2012. (April 14, 2013) http://www.artofmanliness.com/2012/03/29/how-to-build-a-small-game-survival-snare/
- SurvivalBracelet.com. "Emergency uses for Paracord." Feb. 11, 2013. (April 11, 2013) http://www.survivalbracelet.com/emergency-uses-for-paracord/
- UPI. "Dental floss may lower heart disease risk." Dec. 17, 2008. (April 14, 2013) http://www.upi.com/Health_News/2008/12/17/Dental-floss-may-lower-heart-disease-risk/UPI-81571229574870/
- USParacord.com. "7 Ways a Paracord Survival Bracelet Could Save Your Life." (April 13, 2013) http://www.usparaband.com/---7-Ways-a-Paracord-Survival-Bracelet-Could-Save-Your-Life_ep_42-1.html
HowStuffWorks learns more about Dick Proenneke, who lived 30 years alone in Alaska as a survivalist and conservationist.