Author's Note: Can living off the land benefit your health?
One of my very favorite forage foods is fiddlehead ferns. I'm also fond of ramps and morels -- and I am blessed to live where matsutake mushrooms flourish. They're supposed to taste like a combination of asparagus and okra with the snap of green beans, although I find they really have a unique flavor of their own. Unfortunately harvesting them in my own yard proves difficult; not because they don't grow where I live (they do), but because one of my dogs is also quite fond of ferns.
More Great Links
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "Physical Activity and Health." Feb. 16, 2011. (Sept. 5, 2014) http://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/everyone/health/index.html
- European Society of Cardiology. "After the Mediterranean Diet, Now Try a Nordic Diet." ESC Congress News. Aug. 31, 2014. (Sept. 15, 2014) http://www.escardio.org/congresses/esc-2014/congress-news/Documents/sunday.pdf
- Haspel, Tamar. "Is organic better for your health? A look at milk, meat, eggs, produce and fish." The Washington Post. April 7, 2014. (Sept. 5, 2014) http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/is-organic-better-for-your-health-a-look-at-milk-meat-eggs-produce-and-fish/2014/04/07/036c654e-a313-11e3-8466-d34c451760b9_story.html
- Platt, John. "Going off the grid: Why more people are choosing to live life unplugged." Mother Nature Network. Nov. 14, 2012. (Sept. 5, 2014) http://www.mnn.com/lifestyle/responsible-living/stories/going-off-the-grid-why-more-people-are-choosing-to-live-life-un
- Smith-Spanger, C. "Are organic foods safer or healthier than conventional alternatives?: a systematic review." Annals of Internal Medicine. Vol. 157, no. 5. Pages 348-366. Sept. 4, 2012. (Sept. 5, 2014) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22944875
- Tufft, Ben. "Move over Mediterranean diet, the traditional Nordic diet could be key to losing weight." The Independent. Sept. 2, 2014. (Sept. 5, 2014) http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/news/move-over-mediterranean-diet-the-traditional-nordic-diet-could-be-key-to-losing-weight-9706389.html
- United States Department of Agriculture - Economic Research Service. "Oranges and apples are America's top fruit choices." May 19, 2014. (Sept. 5, 2014) http://www.ers.usda.gov/data-products/chart-gallery/detail.aspx?chartId=40075#.VATWIfldVbw
- United States Department of Agriculture - Economic Research Service. "Tomatoes and potatoes are the most commonly consumed vegetables." Nov. 4, 2013. (Sept. 5, 2014) http://www.ers.usda.gov/data-products/chart-gallery/detail.aspx?chartId=40452#.VATV-vldVbw
- Voderbreggen, Mark. "Benefits of Foraging." Foraging Texas. November 2008. (Sept. 5, 2014) http://www.foragingtexas.com/2008/11/benefits-of-foraging.html