I didn't really know much about Pompeii aside from repeatedly watching that Pink Floyd movie filmed in the ruined amphitheater when I was in college. I knew the general outline, of course. But I'd never really thought about what was going on with those preserved bodies, thinking they'd somehow been petrified by the ash rather than being plaster casts of their hollowed-out death scenes. It's a shame they've had so much trouble keeping the site intact, but things seem to be improving. Pompeii is now definitely on the short list of places I really want to visit someday.
More Great Links
- Amery, Colin and Brian Curran Jr. "The Lost World of Pompeii." The J. Paul Getty Museum. 2002.
- Bagley, Mary. "Mount Vesuvius & Pompeii: Facts & History." Live Science. June 29, 2016. (Aug. 15, 2017) https://www.livescience.com/27871-mount-vesuvius-pompeii.html
- Berry, Joanne. "Pompeii Art and Architecture Gallery." BBC. Feb. 11, 2011. (Aug. 16, 2017) http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ancient/romans/pompeii_art_gallery_04.shtml
- Bressan, David. "The Enduring Mysteries of Mount Vesuvius and the Destruction of Pompeii." Aug. 25, 2015. (Nov. 8, 2017) https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidbressan/2015/08/25/the-enduring-mysteries-of-mount-vesuvius-and-the-destruction-of-pompeii/#4a63b80263d6
- Brilliant, Richard. "Pompeii, AD 79: Treasury of Rediscovery." American Museum of Natural History. 1979.
- Dwyer, Eugene. "Pompeii's Living Statues." University of Michigan Press. 2010.
- Etienne, Robert. "Pompeii: The Day a City Died." Harry N. Abrams, Inc. 1987.
- Hammer, Joshua. "The Fall and Rise and Fall of Pompeii." Smithsonian Magazine. July 2015. (Aug. 20, 2017) http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/fall-rise-fall-pompeii-180955732/
- Kolich, Heather. "How Antiques Work." HowStuffWorks. Jan. 6, 2009. (Nov. 8, 2017) https://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/arts/artwork/antique.htm
- Ling, Roger. "Pompeii: History, Life & Afterlife." Tempus. 2005.
- Oregon State University. "Stratovolcanoes." (Aug. 15, 2017) http://volcano.oregonstate.edu/stratovolcanoes
- Parco Archeologico di Pompei. "Pompeii Projects." (Nov. 8, 2018) http://www.pompeiisites.org/Sezione.jsp?titolo=Pompeii%20Projects&idSezione=985
- San Diego State University. "How Volcanoes Work: Stratovolcanoes." (Aug. 15, 2017) http://www.geology.sdsu.edu/how_volcanoes_work/stratovolc_page.html
- Sheldon, Natasha. "Dating the 79AD Eruption of Vesuvius: Is 24th August Really the Date?" Decoded Past. March 7, 2014. (Nov. 8, 2017) https://web.archive.org/web/20170824153019/http://decodedpast.com/dating-79ad-eruption-vesuvius-24th-august-really-date/6806
- Stewart, Doug. "Resurrecting Pompeii." Smithsonian Magazine. Feb. 2006. (Aug. 18, 2017) http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/resurrecting-pompeii-109163501/
- Taylor, Alan. "Mount Etna, Europe's Most Active Volcano." The Atlantic. March 15, 2017. (Nov. 8, 2017) https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2017/03/mount-etna-europes-most-active-volcano/519681/
- Wallace-Hadrill, Andrew. "Houses and Society in Pompeii and Herculaneum." Princeton University Press. 1994.
- Wallace-Hadrill, Andrew. "Pompeii: Portents of Disaster." BBC. March 29, 2011. (Aug. 14, 2017) http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ancient/romans/pompeii_portents_01.shtml
- Zanker, Paul. "Pompeii: Public and Private Life." Harvard University Press. 1998.