Good divers are constantly training and learning, keeping their skills sharp. Divers Alert Network programs offer a variety of classes, training and other events to keep divers at the top of their game. Sport divers will benefit from the proficiency the classes provide. Professionals and instructors may be eligible for continuing education and/or professional development units, as authorized by their agencies.
DAN members can participate in a large variety of courses, including:
- Oxygen First Aid for Scuba Diving Injuries, which covers on-location treatment for decompression illness and other oxygen applications
- First Aid for Hazardous Marine Life Injuries
- Basic life support for dive professionals
- The proper use of automated external defibrillators in an aquatic setting
- On-Site Neurological Assessment for Divers, which teaches divers how to recognize the early signs of neurological injury or impairment and how to treat them on scene
- Diving Emergency Specialist, which provides DAN recognition for divers who are interested in dive safety and emergencies
- Instructor Qualification Course, which prepares a diver to complete a core module on how to teach individual DAN courses
DAN also provides continuing education courses for physicians and other medical staff to ensure the best quality care for divers.The medical education programs are affiliated with the Duke University Health System.
In addition to training for medical personnel, DAN conducts and participates in medical research aimed at increasing sport diver safety and health. Using membership fees, the organization's work is helping divers around the world by collecting and sharing the information obtained from this research.
Some examples include scientifically based surface intervals for divers planning to fly after a dive, and studies on the effects of aging on diver health. DAN also is involved on a major study regarding divers and diabetes.
The Divers Alert Network is important for both the sport and professionals involved in the diving world.
For lots more information about Divers Alert Network and related topics, check out the links below.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
More Great Links