Burj Khalifa, United Arab Emirates
If you can't BASE jump off the tallest structure in the world, what's the point? In 2010, Nasr Al Nivadi and Omar Al Hegelan, asked for, and were given permission to jump off the Burj Khalifa Tower, in Dubai. Standing at 2,716 feet (828 meters), the tower is the tallest structure in the world. Al Nivadi and Al Hegelan jumped from the Burj Khalifa Tower a day after it officially opened, and set a new world record for the highest base jump. It was over pretty fast, though. Falling at 136 miles (218.87 kilometers) per hour, it took the two men just one minute and 30 seconds to reach the ground. [source: BBC].
Author's Note: The 5 Most Popular Spots for BASE Jumping
OK, I talk a good game, but I would never BASE jump. It looks awesome, it looks fun, but not for me. These days, I lose my lunch on a roller coaster. I suppose I've just gotten old. Bungee jumping was probably the most extreme thing I've ever done by choice. I was a young reporter, and even back then, I had to be talked into it by a photographer who came up with the idea.
More Great Links
- BASE Romsdalen. (May 11, 2012). http://baseromsdalen.com/
- BBC. "Record breaking Burj base jump." Jan. 8, 2010. (May 14, 2012). http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8448411.stm
- Finighan, Gareth. "Mind the Gap! Wingsuit stuntman shoots through narrow slit in mountainside at 75 mph." Daily Mail. Sept. 24, 2011. (May 14, 2012). http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2041434/Wingsuit-stuntman-Jeb-Corliss-shoots-narrow-slit-Tianmen-mountain-75mph.html
- Iqbal, Zain. "Leaps of Faith: 8 Famous BASE Jumping Sports." Nile Guide. Aug. 24, 2010. (May 10, 2012). http://www.nileguide.com/blog/2010/08/24/leaps-of-faith-8-famous-base-jumping-spots/
- Park, Michael Y. "BASE Jumping: Not Suicide, But Sure Looks Like It." Fox News. May 22, 2006. (May 14, 2012). http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,196383,00.html
- PBS.com. "Secrets of the Dead: Tragedy at the Pole." (May 11, 2012). http://www.pbs.org/wnet/secrets/previous_seasons/case_southpole/index.html
- Smiley, Lauren. "BASE Jumper Won't Stop Illegal Leaps Despite Yosemite Tasing." San Francisco Weekly. Feb. 9, 2011. (May 10, 2012). http://www.sfweekly.com/2011-02-09/news/base-jumping-illegal-ammon-mcneely-taser/
- Wilson, David. "Basic Instinct: 10 Stunning Facts about BASE Jumping." Nov. 28, 2011. (May 11, 2012). http://www.theadrenalist.com/sports/basejumping/basic-instinct-10-stunning-facts-about-base-jumping/
Mountains are definitely not the only thing worth climbing. Learn more about the urban climbers scrambling up cranes, skyscrapers and even Corcovado.