Lots More Information
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- How a Marathon Works
- How Intermediate 5K Training Works
- How Intermediate Marathon Training Works
- How Advanced Marathon Training Works
- How to Train for Your First 5K
- How to Train for Your First Marathon
- What's a green marathon?
- Why can a trained athlete run a marathon, but a couch potato cannot run half a mile?
More Great Links
- Bramble, Dennis and Daniel Lieberman. "Endurance Running and the Evolution of Homo." Nature. 432. 345. Nov. 18, 2004.
- Burfoot, Amby. "Improving Your Max VO2." Runner's World. Nov. 14, 2001.
- Gaudette, Jeff. Head Coach, Premier Coaching Online. Personal Interview. June 29, 2010.
- Higdon, Hal. "5-K Training: Advanced." (June 29, 2010)http://www.halhigdon.com/5K%20Training/5-Kadv.htm
- Merriam-Webster. "VO2 max." Merriam-Webster's Medical Dictionary. (July 2, 2010)http://www.merriam-webster.com/medical/vo2%20max
- Merriam-Webster. "Lactic acid." Merriam-Webster's Medical Dictionary. (July 2, 2010)http://www.merriam-webster.com/medical/lactic%20acid
- Palmer, Andy. "Training Program - 5K Advanced." Running Times Magazine. (June 29, 2010)http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=6025
- Rennie, Doug. "The Ultimate 5-K Plan." Runner's World. April 1, 2004.
- Running USA. "Running USA's Annual Marathon Report." March 28, 2010. (July 1, 2010)http://www.runningusa.org/node/57770#57771
- Sears, Edward. "Running Through the Ages." McFarland & Co. 2001.