Rest and Hydrate
Resting is just as important to your training as running. Running every single day doesn't allow your body the time it needs to recover from the workout. Repeatedly over-taxing your body can result in injuries such as stress fractures or shin splints, both of which can have you out of the race for a while [source: The Runner's Guide].
Hydrating is equally crucial. The more you exercise, the more you need to replace the fluid lost through perspiration. For normal exercise, water should do the trick; for more intensive workouts (more than an hour), consider a sports drink containing sodium. Keep drinking even after the workout's over to keep your body properly hydrated [course: Mayo Clinic].
- 10 Training Tips for a 10K
- How a Marathon Works
- How Exercise Works
- How Interval Training Works
- How Leg Workouts for Runners Work
- How to Train for Your First 5K
- How to Train for Your First Marathon
- How to Avoid Overtraining in Running
- Can I run when I have a cold?
- Does running reduce stress?
- Does running fight depression?
- How many calories does running burn?
- Higdon, Jane, PhD. "Glycemic Index and Glycemic Load." Oregon State University. 2005. (Aug. 5, 2010)http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/foods/grains/gigl.html
- Lululemon.com. "Ask a Runner." May 29, 2010. (Aug. 5, 2010)http://www.lululemon.com/community/blog/ask-a-runner-how-to-build-endurance/
- Kelly, John. "How Leg Workouts for Runners Work." HowStuffWorks.com. July 14, 2010. (Aug. 4, 2010)https://adventure.howstuffworks.com/outdoor-activities/running/training/leg-workouts-for-runners.htm
- MayoClinic.com. "Water: How much should you drink every day?" April 17, 2010. (Aug. 6, 2010)http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283
- Morris, Rick. "Static Flexibility Stretches for Runners." RunningPlanet.com. (Aug. 6, 2010)http://www.runningplanet.com/training/static-flexibility-stretches.html
- Pumphrey, Clint. "How to Train for Your First 5K." HowStuffWorks.com. July 14, 2010. (Aug. 4, 2010)https://adventure.howstuffworks.com/outdoor-activities/running/training/train-first-5k.htm
- Roos, Dave. "How Swim Workouts for Runners Work. HowStuffWorks.com. July 14, 2010. (Aug. 4, 2010)https://adventure.howstuffworks.com/outdoor-activities/running/training/swim-workouts-for-runners.htm
- RunBritain.com. "How long will it take me to train for a 5K event?" (Aug. 4, 2010)http://www.runbritain.com/articles/how-long-will-it-take-me-to-train-for-a-5k-event/
The Couch to 5K running plan is a great way to start running seriously. Visit HowStuffWorks to learn all about the Couch to 5K running plan.