Prevent Running Foot Injuries
Let's face it, you can't make it far as a runner if your feet won't cooperate. Injuries ranging from blisters to plantar fasciitis are common. They're also preventable.
To prevent blisters, wear shoes suited to your feet. If your shoes are too big or small or are showing signs of excessive wear and tear, it's time to visit your local running store. And always break in a new pair of shoes before using them in a long run or race. You can also apply talcum powder or a running-specific lubricant like BodyGlide or 2Toms SportShield to your feet prior to your workout.
More serious foot injuries are often caused by improper footwear and irregular biomechanics such as an uneven and awkward stride. A running store specialist can recommend a shoe that offers more or less support, according to your needs. Your doctor may prescribe custom orthotics, or you can simply experiment with over-the-counter insoles that can help even out your foot-strike [source: runnersrescue].
Your feet, like all other parts of the body, can also suffer from overuse. Ramp up your training gradually to allow the tendons, ligaments and muscles in your feet to feel only a mild stress, which will allow them to recover, adapt and become stronger.
- Top 10 Causes of Running Pain
- How Running Stride Works
- How Shin Splints Work
- How Pilates for Runners Work
- How Leg Workouts for Runners Work
- How Ab Workouts for Runners Work
- How Core Strength Training for Runners Works
- How to Avoid Overtraining in Running
- How to Treat a Side Stitch
- Can I run when I have a cold?
- What should distance runners eat every day?
- Higdon, Hal. "Hal Higdon's Smart Running." Rodale. 1998. (Aug. 29, 2010).
- Pribut, M. Stephen. "Dr. Pribut's Running Injuries Page." Jan. 2004. (Aug. 29, 2010)http://www.drpribut.com/sports/pributruna.pdf
- Karp, R. Jason. "Hey! Back Off!" March 11, 2004. (Aug. 29, 2010) Marathon & Beyond
- Burgess, Teri. "The BIG Five - the 5 most common running injuries." (Aug. 29, 2010)http://www.time-to-run.com/injuries/thebig5/index.htm
- "How to Choose a Running Shoe." The Running Advisor. (Aug. 29, 2010)http://www.the runningadvisor.com/running_shoes.html
- Morris, Rick. "Top Ten Ways to Avoid Over Training." (Aug. 29, 2010)http://runningplanet.com/training/top-ten-ways-avoid-overtraining.html
- Klion, Mark. Personal interview. Aug. 14, 2010.
- Aschwanden, Christie. "Are You Overtraining." Runnersworld.com. Oct. 16, 2007 Aug. 29, 2010)http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120s6-241-285-8256-0,00.html
- Mann, Denise. "Coping With Common Running Injuries." (Aug. 29, 2010)http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/guide/coping-with-common-running -injuries
- "Blisters and Running." Runnersrescue.com. (Aug. 29, 2010)http://www.runnersrescue.com/blisters_running.htm