Morristown 5K Results
Like many races, the Morristown 5K uses a radio frequency identification (RFID) system to tally results and runners' times. These RFID tags track when you cross the start and finish lines, and they send a radio signal to a scoring system near these locations. In this case, it's a system called Chronotrack. Popular with many races, Chronotrack is a small tag that gets looped through your shoelaces or underneath your number [source: Chronotrack]. This system provides times that are more accurate than a watch, especially when dealing with a large amount of racers. It also enables the participants to compare their times with other racers, as well as their own previous results. This technology aids runners looking to track and gauge their improvements over time. That ability is especially handy for a race like this one, as the hill at the beginning of the race is known to slow down newcomers and old hands, alike.
As mentioned earlier, the Morristown 5K averages around 25 to 30 minutes to finish, but the best time in 2010 was nearly half that, 16:14.20. Of course, the best overall time isn't nearly the only one that matters. The Morristown 5K divides winning categories into 10-year segments, meaning there are both overall and age-related winning categories, as well as a masters division for participants over 40 years old. Finishing near the top of an age category can net you different prizes, including gift certificates, medals and brand-new running gear [source: Gardiner]. There aren't cash prizes, but with local businesses tossing in different types of awards, there's always something new and different each year.
After the race is finished, refreshments are available and prizes are awarded before the start of the St. Patrick's Day parade, which takes place just a few blocks away from Ginty Field.
If you'd like to know more about running or racing, you'll find lots more information below.
- Bond, Keri. "St. Patty's Day 5K Race Recap." (Aug. 2, 2010).http://theblueeyedrunner.blogspot.com/2010/03/morristown-st-patty.html
- Bost, Madeline. "St. Patty's 5K Brings Out the Eager Runners." The Daily Record. March 16, 2008. (Aug. 2, 2010).http://www.runningcolumn.com/2008/08-03-16stpatty2.htm
- Chronotrack Systems. "Events." (Aug. 2, 2010).http://www.chronotrack.com/
- Compuscore. "Morristown St. Patty's Day 5K Results." (Aug. 2, 2010).http://www.compuscore.com/cs2010/march/stpat5k.htm
- Daily Record. "Morristown St. Patrick's Day parade postponed until April." March 13, 2010. (Aug. 2, 2010).http://www.dailyrecord.com/article/20100313/COMMUNITIES/100313008/Morristown-St-Patrick-s-Day-parade-postponed-until-April
- Eyestone, Ed. "The Hard and Soft of It." Runner's World. Aug. 2004. (Aug. 2, 2010).http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267--9462-2-1-2,00.html
- Gardiner, Heather. Manager, The Running Company. Personal interview. (Aug. 5, 2010).
- Morristown 5K. "The Annual Morristown, NJ St. Patty's Day 5K." (Aug. 2, 2010).http://morristown5k.com/
- Parade Day. "Morris County's St. Patrick's Day Parade." 2010. (Aug. 2, 2010).http://paradeday.com/
- The Running Company. "St. Patty's Day 5K." (Aug. 2, 2010).http://www.therunningcompany.net/stpats5k/
- Weather Underground. "History for Morristown, NJ." (Aug. 2, 2010).http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KMMU/2010/3/13/DailyHistory.html?req_city=Morristown&req_state=NJ&req_statename=New+Jersey