Arguments Against Fair Chase Hunting
There really aren't many arguments against fair chase hunting as much as there are arguments against hunting in general. It seems that, as a whole, the practice is highly respected among the hunting community and merely opposed by those who oppose the sport of hunting in its entirety. But some hunters do admit to straying from the fair chase path.
One hunter says he draws the fair chase line at varmints. While he respects the idea for big game, he sees no need to restrain from hunting any disease-infested animal by the easiest means possible. If a rat, or similar animal, poses a threat to the health, safety or well-being of humans or other animals, he will most likely throw the ethics book out the window. But he does recognize the need to remain respectful of these animals in their natural state, away from humans. After all, no matter how dirty or annoying an animal may be, it still plays an important role in our ecosystem [source: Martin].
It's also beneficial to take each individual's specific motivation for hunting into consideration. For example, ethics may be forgotten when a human is hunting out of necessity, for basic sustenance. This is where ethics get blurry, because who's to say which life is more important?
So, now we know the idea behind fair chase hunting and how those ethics are challenged. The next time you go hunting, consider both sides. And, either way, hunt safely.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
More Great Links
- Boddington, Craig. "Don't Fence Me In." Fair Chase. 2003. Accessed 11/30/2008.http://www.huntfairchase.com/docs/a2cc4a7f.pdf
- Briggs, Stefanie. "Initiated measure addresses fair chase hunting in the state." Nodak Outdoors.http://www.nodakoutdoors.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=46214
- Fair Chase Hunt. "Why a Website of Hunting Ethics." 2004. Accessed 11/30/2008http://www.huntfairchase.com/index.php/fuseaction/ethics.why
- Martin, John. "Sport Hunting and Fair Chase." Skinny Moose. November 2008. Accessed 11/30/2008.http://skinnymoose.com/racktracker/2008/11/07/sport-hunting-and-fair-chase/
- Remington, Tom. "Fair Chase is Ethical." Idaho Hunting Today. 2008. Accessed 11/30/2008.http://idahohuntingtoday.com/blog/index.php/2008/03/07/fair-chase-is-ethical/