Mission of Ducks Unlimited
"The vision of Ducks Unlimited is wetlands sufficient to fill the skies with waterfowl today, tomorrow and forever," something they've been achieving for more than 60 years by working together and staying focused [source: Ducks].
Each member of DU is guided by the single mission that unites the group as a whole. Ducks Unlimited works to conserve, restore and manage wetlands and associated habitats for North America's waterfowl. These habitats also benefit other wildlife and people [source: Ducks].
Ducks Unlimited mission is based on the following core values:
- To conserve waterfowl and wetlands
- Uphold the reputation of the group
- To continually evaluate their programs to guide members and ensure credibility as a non-profit
- To work as a team of volunteers and staff
- To value and enjoy hunting and its traditions
- To partner with other conservationists who share common goals and values
- To commit at least 80 percent of its resources to conservation
- To celebrate the culture of its group while serving its members [source: Ducks]
Knowing that the waterfowl in America breed in the prairies of Canada, DU originally began by raising money in the United States for Canadian waterfowl conservation. Today, Ducks Unlimited conservation projects span the Northern Hemisphere, focusing on areas where waterfowl migrate, winter and breed. DU has critical projects located throughout North America, as well as Mexico and areas of the Caribbean and Latin America. Since its inception in the 1930s the group has raised more than $2 billion of support for its mission, and applies 87 percent of its monies to waterfowl and wetland conservation [source: Ducks].
If you're wondering what it takes to join this conservation group, read on. Our next section details how to join and what the benefits are.