Survival of the fittest is nature's way of weeding out the weak from the strong, but what happens when otherwise healthy animals come in contact with weak or diseased animals? It happens during migration, and this shifting of populations prevents inbreeding, but it can also contribute to the spread of disease among new populations [source: Montana Conservation Science Institute]. In this section, we'll look at hunting preserves and disease among game.
Chronic Wasting Disease, which is a fatal wasting syndrome found in deer and elk, affects infected animals with tremors and weight loss and is known as a transmissible spongiform encephalopathy, or TSE [source: Belay]. It's also similar to bovine spongiform encephalopathy, or mad cow disease [source: McCombie]. The disease is extremely contagious within captive elk or deer, and while it has been found in captive herds since the '60s and in the wild since the '80s, several states including Colorado, Wyoming and Nebraska have had CWD in endemic proportions [source: Belay] .
As for birds, which also play a large role in the spread of disease, chief among them West Nile Virus, disease transmission is of increasing concern as wild populations diminish and farm-raised birds increase in number [source: Reed, Penn State College of Agricultural Sciences].
No matter how you feel about them, keep in mind that game preserves offer much of the same beauty found in the wild, and in some cases can keep the view from your window as wide open as it was before contractors moved in across the street.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
More Great Links
- "Animal Migration." Montana Science Conservation Institute.(2006) ( accessed 111/28/08)http://www.mocsi.org/research_animal-migration.htm
- Belay, Ermias D. Chronic Wasting Disease and Potential Transmission to Humans." Centers for Disease Control. (06/24/04) (accessed 11/28/08) http://www.cdc.gov/NCIDOD/EID/vol10no6/03-1082.htm
- "Ask The Expert." Chronic Wasting Disease & the Hunter. (accessed 11/28/08)http://www.ndow.org/hunt/health/cwd/faqs.shtm
- "Become a Volunteer Hunter Education Instructor." Michigan Department of Natural Resources. (accessed 11/28/08)http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10363_39267-139685--,00.html
- "Canned Hunt Fact Sheet." Wildlife Abuse Campaign. (accessed 11/28/08)http://www.hsus.org/wildlife_abuse/campaigns/canned/canned_hunt_fact_sheet.html
- "Captive Wildlife Regulations." Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.http://myfwc.com/captive/cwr-26.html (accessed 11/28/08)
- "Chartbook on Disability in the US." National Institute on Disability and Rehabilitation Research. (accessed 11/28/08)http://www.infouse.com/disabilitydata/disability/1_1.php
- Cheney Shots Fellow Hunter." The Los Angeles Times.(02/13/06). ( accessed 11/28/08)http://articles.latimes.com/2006/feb/13/nation/na-cheney13
- "Conference Addresses Gamebird Production and Hunting Preserves." Penn State.(02/12/2003) (accessed 11/28/08)http://aginfo.psu.edu/news/2003/2/gamebird.html.
- Decker, Aaron J. "The Shooting Sports Future." Guns and Ammo Magazine. (accessed 11/28/08)http://gunsandammomag.com/cs/Satellite/IMO_GA/Story_C/The+Shooting+Sports+Future
- "Creutzfeldt-Jacob Disease." Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.(02/26/08) ( accessed 11/28/08)http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/cjd/
- "Firearm Hunter Education."Nebraska Game ane Parks Commission. (accessed 11/28/08)http://www.ngpc.state.ne.us/hunting/programs/education/firearm.asp
- Flach, Tim. Hunting Preserve at Lake Sought." The State. (11/16/08) ( accessed 11/28/08)http://www.thestate.com/local/story/591502.html
- Fowle, Noah. "Deer Hunting: A Family Tradition." Petrosky News-Review. (accessed 11/28/08) (11/14/08).http://www.petoskeynews.com/articles/2008/11/14/news/doc491d872083f46907902606.txt
- Frye, Bob. "Disabled Hunters Willing and Able." Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.(10/26/08) (accessed 11/28/08)http://skinnymoose.com/help4hunters/index.php/2008/11/07/disabled-hunters-willing-and-able/
- "Game Breeding and Hunting Preserve Areas." Illinois Department of Natural (accessed 11/27/08)http://dnr.state.il.us/Lands/Landmgt/Programs/GBHPA/INDEX.HTM.
- Gerstensang, Alan C. Miller. "Cheny Shoots Fellow Hunter." The Los Angeles Times. 902/13/06) ( accessed 11/28/08)http://articles.latimes.com/2006/feb/13/nation/na-cheney13
- Hoffman, Ronald H."Sandhill Crane." Bernard W. Baker Sanctuary. (11/12/07)http://www.bakersanctuary.org/crane.html (accessed 11/28/08)
- "Hunt of A Lifetime."Hunt of A Lifetime. ( accessed 11/28/08)http://www.huntofalifetime.org/
- "Jasper-Pulaski." Indiana Department of Natural Resources. (accessed 11/28/08)http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/4216.htm
- Marshall, Bob. "The Future of Hunting." Field and Stream Magazine. (Accessed 11/28/08)http://www.fieldandstream.com/article/Hunting/The-Future-of-Hunting.
- McCombie. "Deadly Venison." Organic Consumers Association. ( accessed 11/28/08)http://www.organicconsumers.org/madcow/deadly201.cfm
- "Migration Basics." National Park Service,US Department of the Interior. (accessed 11/28/08)http://www.nps.gov/akso/parkwise/Students/ReferenceLibrary/general/MigrationBasics.htm
- Newman, Eve. "Maintaining Open Spaces." The Laramie Boomerang. (11/14/08) (accessed 11/28/08)http://www.jacksonholestartrib.com/articles/2008/11/24/news/wyoming/8272d91b212979838725750a002679f6.txt
- "Preserving Wildlife and Rural America." The North American Gamebird Association. (accessed 11/28/08)http://www.wingshootingusa.org/Tips_On_Preserves/Preserves_Wildlife_America.pdf
- "Programs and Opportunities for Sportsmen with Disabilites." North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission. (accessed 11/28/08)http://www.ncwildlife.org/pg03_Fishing/pg3d7.htm#Programs%20for%20the%20Sportsman%20with%20Disabilities
- "State Park, Forest and Recreation Area Fees." Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources. (accessed 11/28/08)http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/parks/fees/
- Strangis, Jay. "The Land of the Free..Somewhat." Petersen's BowHunting (accessed 11/28/08)Magazine.http://www.bowhuntingmag.com/editorial/PB0506_edit/index.html
- Simpson, Layne. "In Praise of Preserves." Petersen's Hunting Magazine. (accessed 11/28/08)http://www.huntingmag.com/small_game/psv_0705/
- Taylor, Meredith. "Restoring Wild Patterns." Wyoming Outdoor Council. ( accessed 11/28/08http://www.wyomingoutdoorcouncil.org/news/newsletter/docs/2002a/)
- Thoms, Jerry. "Stouth Dakota Ringnecks." GunDogMagazine (accessed 11/28/08)http://www.gundogmag.com/destinations/GD_sdakotaringbacks_200808/
- "Where Imagination and Innovation Meet Extreme Science." Operation Migration. (accessed 11/28/08)http://www.operationmigration.org/
- "About USSA." The United Special Sportsmen of America. ( accessed 11/28/08)http://www.childswish.com/aboutus.php
- "Welcome To The Disabled Sportsment of America Website." The Disabled Sportsmen of America. (accessed 11/28/08)http://www.disabledsportsmenofamerica.org/
- "Whooping Crane." Cornell Lab of Ornithology. (accessed 11/28/08)http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/Whooping_Crane.html
- "Why Hunt On Our Farm?" North Iowa Pheasant Haven. (accessed 11/28/08)http://www.ugohunt.com/