Lots More Information
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Al-Azzawi, Abdul. 2006. Light and Optics: Principles and Practices. Boca Raton: CRC Press.
- American Hiking Society. "Finding the Right Footwear." (Accessed online Dec. 3, 2009).http://www.americanhiking.org/uploadedFiles/Hiking_Resources/FindingtheRightFootwear.pdf
- Associated Press. 2005. Walking Downhill May Lower Sugar Levels and Uphill Hiking May Clear Fats from Blood, Study Finds. Jan. 6. (Accessed online Dec. 3, 2009).http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6795822/ns/health-fitness/
- Benzer, W. et. al. 1998. Regular Physical Activity and Risk Factors for Coronary Heart Disease. Circulation: The Journal of the American Heart Association 98 (21): 2356.
- Bohne, M., and Abendroth-Smith, J. 2007. Effects of Hiking Downhill Using Trekking Poles While Carrying External Loads. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise 39(1): 177-183.
- Cortel, Adolf. 2005. Simple Experiments on the Physics of Vision: The Retina. Physics Education 40(4): 325.
- DeMauro, Lisa. 2005. Theodore Roosevelt: The Adventurous President. New York: Harper Collins.
- Levy, S. 2007. Trekking Poles. American Hiker. Summer: 18-19.
- Lightweight Backpacker. "Hiking Poles & Walking Sticks & Staffs." (Accessed online Dec. 7, 2009). http://www.backpacking.net/walkstik.html
- Mountaineers (Society). 2003. Mountaineering: the Freedom of the Hills. Seattle: The Mountaineers Books.
- National Center for Biotechnology Information (NIH). "Light and Dark Adaptation." (Accessed online Dec. 8, 2009).
- REI. "Breaking in Your Hiking Boots." (Accessed online Dec. 4, 2009).http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/articles/breaking+in+hiking+boots.html
- REI. "How to Choose Trekking Poles (and Hiking Staffs)." (Accessed online Dec. 7, 2009). http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/articles/trekking+poles+hiking+staffs.html
- REI. "The Ten Essentials." (Accessed online Dec. 6, 2009).http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/articles/ten+essentials.html
- Russell, T. H. 1919. Life and Work of Theodore Roosevelt: Typical American, Patriot, Orator, Historian, Sportsman, Soldier, Statesman and President. Indiana University: Homewood Press.
- Thomson, K. G. "Night Hiking." Inquiry. May 01, 2005. (Accessed online Dec. 7, 2009).http://www.inquiry.net/OUTDOOR/night/hiking.htm
- Walking and Hiking. "How to Choose Walking Shoes and Hiking Boots." (Accessed online Dec. 3, 2009). http://www.walkingandhiking.co.uk/how-choose-right-walking-shoes-hiking-boots.html
- Webster's New World College Dictionary, 4th ed., s.v. "hiking."
- Weinstein, N., Przybylski, A. K., and R. M. Ryan. 2009. Can Nature Make Us More Caring? Effects of Immersion in Nature on Intrinsic Aspirations and Generosity. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin 35(10): 1315-1329.