Lots More Information
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- How Compasses Work
- Compass Quiz
- How Ultralight Backpacking Works
- How Ice Climbing Works
- How Climbing Mount Everest Works
- How Rock Climbing Works
- How Bear Spray Works
- How Sherpas Work
- How to Build a Shelter
- How the Boy Scouts Work
- How the Girl Scouts Work
- How the Sierra Club Works
- How to Avoid Hypothermia
- How to Find Water in the Wild
- How to Start a Fire Without a Match
- How does bug repellent clothing work?
- How has Mount Everest tourism affected Nepal?
- Are humans wired to survive?
More Great Links
- Backpacking and Hiking for Beginners. (October 22, 2008) http://www.backpacking.net/beginner.html
- Berger, Karen. "Trailside Guide: Hiking and Backpacking, New Edition." 1995.
- Curtis, Rick. "The Backpacker's Field Manual, a Comprehensive Guide to Mastering Backcountry Skills." 1998.
- Johnston, Matt. "Packing a Pack." The Backpacker. (October 22, 2008) http://www.thebackpacker.com/articles/tipsandhow/art201.php
- Lundkvist, Mats. "Why Should You Use Hiking Poles?" The Backpacker. (October 22, 2008) http://www.thebackpacker.com/articles/tipsandhow/art201.php
- Olson, Eric. "Getting Started." The Hiking Website. 2007. (October 22, 2008)http://www.hikingwebsite.com/hiking/howto.htm
- McGivney, Annette. "Leave No Trace: A Guide to New Wilderness Etiquette." 2003.