Lots More Information
HowStuffWorks looks at the popularity of hiking in the U.S.
Author's Note: 5 Tips for Getting Your Zzzs While You Camp
My family camped a lot when I was a child, so I had a lot of firsthand knowledge while writing this article. I was also a Girl Scout growing up, which involved loads of experience when it came to the very practical matters of camping -- not that my parents hadn't already instilled those practices in me, just that it took the form of a more rigorous training regime in outdoor safety.
So I was interested in writing this article (especially considering how often people show up in the news for being fail-trains at outdoor safety) in an effort to keep my fellow humans from ending up as toast, corpsicles or bear-chow. You're welcome.
- "Campfire Safety. SmokeyBear.com. (July 1, 2012) http://www.smokeybear.com/put-out-campfire.asp
- "Camping Tips: Sleeping Well." REI. (July 1, 2012) http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/articles/camp+sleeping+tips.html
- "Flammable tents recalled." CBC News. Aug. 11, 2010. (July 1, 2012) http://www.cbc.ca/news/story/2010/08/11/consumer-tents-recalls.html
- "How Flammable is Your Tent?" Women Today. (July 1, 2012) http://www.bwca.cc/bwcafire/how_flammable_is_your_tent.htm
- Huffman, Kelly. "How to Choose a Sleeping Bag for Camping." REI. May 2010. (July 1, 2012) http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/articles/sleeping+bag.html
- Yorko, Scott. "How to Sleep Well When Camping." Active.com. (July 1, 2012) http://www.active.com/outdoors/articles/How-To-Sleep-Well-When-Camping.htm