Dinner should be served hot, especially if you're camping during colder months. Hamburgers and hot dogs are traditional campground dinners that are easy to prepare over a fire. To make sure you cook hamburgers thoroughly, poke a hole in the middle of your hamburger about the size of your finger. As you grill, the hole will disappear, and the center and edges of the hamburger patty will be cooked evenly. Rotating hot dogs on a stick over the campfire is a simple dinner activity your kids are sure to enjoy. Go a step further and substitute bratwurst or Italian sausages for hot dogs on your next family camping trip.
Before you leave home, consider preparing simple, one-pot meals for a couple of your family dinners. After a long day of exercise and outdoor activities, you and your family will be exhausted, and the easier the meal is to prepare and cook, the better! Always remember to keep pots covered with lids when you're cooking outdoors; food will cook faster, and this will keep critters from getting into your grub!
- Dunn, Elton. "List of Fresh Food to Take Car Camping." USA Today Travel. (Dec. 8, 2010).http://traveltips.usatoday.com/list-fresh-food-car-camping-2283.html
- Olinghouse, Lane. "Camping tips: The uses of aluminum foil." Helium. (Dec. 10, 2010).http://www.helium.com/items/1904694-uses-of-aluminum-foil
- Smusiak, Cara. "Camping Cuisine: Cook with Hot Rocks." Planet Green. July. 31, 2009. (Dec. 8, 2010).http://planetgreen.discovery.com/travel-outdoors/camping-cuisine-cooking-rocks.html
- The Editors of Easy Home Cooking Magazine. "Grilling Tips." TLC. Nov. 15, 2007. (Dec. 9, 2010).https://recipes.howstuffworks.com/fresh-ideas/easy-dinner-ideas/grilling-tips6.htm
- Thompson, Angela. "10 Tips for Cooking Meals While Camping." MadeMan. Oct. 16, 2010. (Dec. 10, 2010).http://www.mademan.com/mm/10-tips-cooking-meals-while-camping.html
The Boy Scouts of America will no longer include the word 'boy' in its official name. HowStuffWorks looks at how opinions differ on the new change.