Classic Campfire Cooking No. 1: S'mores
So s'mores aren't technically a meal. But a s'more is a great snack, and after all, camping is a vacation, so why not have a graham cracker-marshmallow-chocolate sandwich for dessert?
S'mores originated among campers in the early 20th century. Who exactly invented them is lost to history, but the snack's popularity spread after it was mentioned in the 1927 edition of "The Girl Scout Handbook." (And yes, "s'more" is a contraction of "some more," because you can't eat just one.) They're a great camping food because none of the ingredients require refrigeration and anyone who can hold a stick can make one. Here's how you put one together: Take two marshmallows, poke them on a stick, and toast them on an open flame, turning until the marshmallows are brown. Place them on half a graham cracker and make a sandwich with a square of chocolate on the other cracker half. If you're camping in August, make sure to make some s'mores on Aug. 10 -- National S'mores Day.
For lots more information on camping and cooking, see the links below.
- 10 Tips for Camping at High Altitude
- 5 Tips for Preparing a Solo Camping Trip
- 10 Ways to Attract Bears to Your Campsite
- 5 Tips for Preparing a Site for Camping
- 5 Camping Gadgets for Serious Internet Addicts
- 5 Tips for Getting Organized for a Camping Trip
- 5 Gadgets for Campers Who Can’t Unplug
- 5 Cooking Tools for Camping
- Bouwman, Fred. "Camp Cooking: A Practical Handbook." Skyhorse Publishing. 2009.
- Boy Scouts of America. "The Boy Scout Handbook." Boy Scouts of America. 1965
- Farmer, Charles and Kathy (eds.). "Campground Cooking." Follett Publishing Company. 1974.
- Fisher, Garry. "Rebel Cornbread and Yankee Coffee." Crane Hill Publishers. 2001.
- Hammett, Catherine T. "Your Own Book of Campcraft." Pocket Books. 1950.
- Rome Industries. "Easy to Make Pie Iron Recipes." PieIron.com. 2011. (February 16, 2012) http://www.pieiron.com/recipes.htm
- Spiridakis, Nicole. "Forget the Granola: Camp Cooking Goes Gourmet." NPR.org. July 16, 2008. (February 15, 2012) http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=92419216
- Weston, Nicole. "The History of S'mores." SlashFood.com. Aug. 18, 2006. (February 15, 2012) http://www.slashfood.com/2006/08/18/the-history-of-smores/
HowStuffWorks looks at the popularity of hiking in the U.S.