Author's Note: 10 Camping Comforts You Might Want to Bring
I grew up camping in my parents' green, pop-top VW Bus and backpacking the Cascades. Now I'm in the process of inflicting nature on the next generation -- my 3-year-old and 5-year-old kids (and at times our Labradors). We enjoy camping in the Boulder, Colo., area. Writing this article, I was surprised to see how many modern recommendations for camping gear include technology. Opposite these techno-centered recommendations was a reader comment that suggested the best camping companion for an iPhone is a hammer. I'm not quite sure which camp I fall into -- the high- or the low-tech one. But I'm sure in the coming years I'll figure that out.
- Casimiro, Steve. "2011 best outdoor iPhone apps." Adventure Journal. July 25, 2011. (Feb. 27, 2012) http://www.adventure-journal.com/2011-best-outdoor-iphone-apps-%E2%80%94-best-camping-apps/
- Coxworth, Ben. "Gozmag's top ten camping gadgets." Gizmag. June 10, 2010. (Feb. 27, 2012) http://www.gizmag.com/top-ten-camping-gadgets/15339/
- Geeksugar. "Camping Apps for Your Next Nature Retreat." (Feb. 27, 2012)http://www.geeksugar.com/Useful-Apps-Camping-11169356?slide=2
- Hostetter, Kristin. "Couples Camping 101: Wine & Dine." Backpacker Magazine. (Feb. 27, 2012) http://www.backpacker.com/gear-zone-couples-camping-101-wine-dine/gear/15212
- Leckart, Steven. "8 iPhone apps for camping." Boing Boing. July 23, 2009. (Feb. 27, 2012) http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2009/06/23/8-iphone-apps-for-ca.html
- Solio. "Solar Chargers." (Feb. 27, 2012) http://store.solio.com/Solio-Store/Solar-Chargers/Solio-Bolt-Solar-Charger-S620-AH1RW