Night fishing for walleye is one of the more unique fishing experiences you can have. It gives you the opportunity to catch the especially elusive, larger walleye.
Walleye feed in shallow water at night, so you can fish off a bank, wade in, or cast or troll from a boat. Some walleye fishers find the best spots for night fishing are in narrow entrances to bays and harbors.
Live bait works best when fishing at night, so use shallow-dive crank bait or a thick minnow plug. If you're casting, use a slow retrieve and scope out the waters before you cast. The glow of the walleye's reflective eyes can sometimes be seen at night.
When walleye fishing at night, the most important thing to do is prepare. Find where the minnows are during the day -- that's where the walleye should be at night. Also, remember that walleye are creatures of habit, so if you can learn their feeding schedule you'll know the best time to strike.
If you're trolling at night, stay in water that's no more than 15 feet (4.5 meters) deep. Start at dusk so you can establish your trolling pattern while you're still able to see clearly. Again, remember that walleye feed up, so don't set your lures much deeper than 3 feet (1 meter) [source: Richardson].
A few more night fishing tips to keep in mind: At night, walleye are attracted to light, so use lighted or glow-in-the-dark jug heads. Be sure to match your lure size with the bait size. Always use a slip bobber, and be sure to reel in the slack before you set the hook.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Allard, Tim. "Night Trolling For Walleye." Ontariowalleyefishing.comhttp://www.ontariowalleyefishing.com/articles/trolling-walleyes.html (Accessed 11/05/08)
- Anderson, Sam. "Light Up the Night Bite." Walleyehunter.com 2000.http://www.walleyehunter.com/articles/anderson16.html (Accessed 11/05/08)
- Freshwater-fishing-canada.com "Walleye Fishing Canada." 2008.http://www.freshwater-fishing-canada.com/walleyefishingcanada.html (Accessed 11/05/08)
- Hoffman, Justin. "Deciding On A Downrigger." Basspro.comhttp://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CFPage?mode=article&objectID=29902&storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1 (Accessed 11/06/08)
- Hornbeck, Gene. "Summer Walleye Fishing Tips." Gameandfishing.com. 2008.http://www.gameandfishmag.com/fishing/walleyes-fishing/gf_aa076203a/ (Accessed 11/05/08)
- hookupguideservice.com. "Columbia River Walleye Trips." 2008.http://www.hookupguideservice.com/walleye_trips.htm (Accessed 11/07/08)
- in-fisherman.com. "Planer Board Trolling For Walleyes." 2008.http://www.in-fisherman.com/walleye_insider/exclusives/wi1405_ArchBoards/ (Accessed 11/06/08)
- Landahl, David. "Planer and Simpler." 06/06/02. Flwoutdoors.comhttp://www.flwoutdoors.com/article.cfm?id=137025 (Accessed 11/05/08)
- Lemieux, Steve. "Fishing With Planer Boards." Nesportsman.comhttp://www.nesportsman.com/me/fish/moosehead2.shtml (Accessed 11/06/08)
- Richardson, Scott & Takasaki, Ted. "Night Fishing For Walleyes." Walleye.comhttp://www.walleye.com/fall2000/nightfishing.htm (Accessed 11/06/08)
- Ross, Frank. "Downrigger Buyer's Guide." 2008. Cabellas.comhttp://www.cabelas.com/story-123/ross_downrigger_guide/20017/Downrigger%252BBuyer%2527s%252BGuide.shtml (Accessed 11/06/08)
- Sewell, Kevin. "Walleye Fishing At Night." 2008. Ezinearticles.comhttp://ezinearticles.com/?Walleye-Fishing-At-Night&id=1014735 (Accessed 11/05/08)
- Southdakotafishing.com "Night Fishing Walleyes, Techniques and Tips"http://www.southdakotafishing.com/NightFishing.html (Accessed 11/06/08)
- Twin-lakes-air.com. "How To Catch Walleye. Fishing Tips And Techniques." 2008.http://www.twin-lakes-air.com/walleye.htm (Accessed 11/06/08)
- Vance, John A. "Outdoors Fishing Walleye." 2008.http://www.execulink.com/~environm/Fishing/walleye.html (Accessed 11/06/08)
- "Walleye Fishing." Walleyefishingbasics.com.http://walleyefishingbasics.com/walleye-fishing.html (Accessed 11/07/08)
- WormDunker. "The Lost Art Of Downrigger Fishing." 2007. Michigansportsman.com. http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/fishing_articles/downrigger.htm (Accessed 11/06/08)