Location 1: Winter Pike Locations
In winter, many northerly pike locations ice over. Big surprise -- it's the Arctic. However, you still have a few options.
First, take a look at the waters of Ireland. They offer a couple of major advantages:
- No ice. Ireland's lakes, or loughs, don't freeze over.
- No license. In most fisheries, you won't need a permit.
- No season. You can fish for pike year-round.
- No people. One of the reasons pike are so plentiful is that, as in Sweden, the fish-to-fishers ratio is relatively high.
Ireland has pike in its lakes, rivers and canals. Ireland's lake pike can get as big as 40 pounds (18 kilograms); 20 pounds (9 kilograms) is not uncommon in the rivers. Take a look at Lough Erne (which has an annual Pike Fishing Classic), Lough Ree, Lough Sheelin or Lough Dern. Or try Derryhick Lake, Shannonbridge or Castle Lake. The Erne and Shannon river networks contain numerous smaller lakes. Other rivers with ample bank fishing include the Suck, the Bann and the Barrow. You can find a comprehensive list of Ireland's fisheries -- along with links to ghillies, or angling guides -- on the website of the Central Fisheries Board.
As with any locale, however, make sure you're familiar with the law before you bait a hook. Ireland does not allow the use of live fish as bait. In freshwater, you may fish with rod and line only, and with no more than two rods at once. Catch-and-release is the rule; you may keep one pike a day, but it will be subject to weight requirements.
If you're really determined, you can try ice fishing. The first place to try: Canada. Manitoba is especially well known for its pike, but you can find pike in Ontario and Saskatchewan as well. You'll also find gorgeous scenery, and under all that ice are famously clean waters. Many of north Canada's lakes are accessible only by plane, so gear up and get ready for an adventure.
The other place to try ice fishing is Russia, where long winters give you lots of opportunity. Orel (on the Kama in the Perm province) offers ice-fishing tours starting in October, and depending on the area you can find ice fishing as late as February or early March [source: Ural Expeditions and Tours]. Take a look at the incomparable Ural Mountains. Some tours offer not just ice fishing but also dogsledding, ski walks and mountain treks. Again, be sure to check out local laws and license requirements.
To learn more, visit the links below.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Akl, Jason. "Spring Pike Fly Fishing." Bass Pro Shops.http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CFPage?storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&mode=article&objectID=30005 (Accessed 11/16/08)
- "Alaskan Fishing Resorts." Freshwater Fishing Canada.http://www.freshwater-fishing-canada.com/alaskafishingresorts.html (Accessed 11/17/08)
- "Fishing for Baltic Pike." Angling Travel.http://www.angling-travel.com/pike.html (Accessed 11/17/08)
- "Fishing and Hunting in Russia: The Perm Province." Ural Tourism. http://www.uraltourism.com/fishing-hunting.php (Accessed 11/17/08)
- "Fishing in Russia." http://welcome-ural.ru/tours/52/ (Accessed 11/17/08)
- "Fishing Manitoba." Freshwater Fishing Canada. http://www.freshwater-fishing-canada.com/manitobafishing.html (Accessed 11/17/08)
- "Fishing Yukon Waters." Freshwater Fishing Canada. http://www.freshwater-fishing-canada.com/fishingyukon.html (Accessed 11/17/08)
- "Giant Pike from Lakes." Zanderland. http://www.zanderland.fi/species/pike (Accessed 11/18/08)
- "The Great Pike Waters of Ireland." Central Fisheries Board. http://www.cfb.ie/fishing_in_ireland/pike/shannon.htm (Accessed 11/17/08)
- Jensen, Johnny. "World-Class Pikefishing." http://www.jjphoto.dk/jj_fishing/articles/sweden_pike_uk.htm (Accessed 11/17/08)
- Little, Bill. "Pike Facts." Pike Anglers Alliance for Scotland. http://www.esoxecosse.com/ (Accessed 11/16/08)
- "Northern Fishing Tips and Strategies." Crystal Beach Resort. http://www.fishcrystal.com/pike-fishing-tips-techinques.htm (Accessed 11/16/08)
- "Northern Pike Fishing in Canada with Wilderness Air." Wilderness Air. http://www.great-fishing.com/canada-northern-pike-fishing.php (Accessed 11/17/08)
- "Northern Pike." FishResource.com. http://fishresource.com/fish/fish012.asp (Accessed 11/16/08)
- "Northern Pike." Take Me Fishing. http://www.takemefishing.org/fishing/fishopedia/species-explorer/details/overview/fish/northern-pike (Accessed 11/16/08)
- Pike Anglers Alliance for Scotland. http://www.esoxecosse.com/ (Accessed 11/16/08)
- "Pike Fishing in Ireland." Central Fisheries Board. http://www.cfb.ie/fishing_in_ireland/pike/pike.htm (Accessed 11/17/08)
- "Pike Fishing in Kalix." Kalix kommun. http://www.kalix.se/templates/Page____11570.aspx (Accessed 11/17/08)
- "Pike Fishing on the Derryhick Lake." Eurocottage. http://www.eurocottage.ie/pike-fishing.htm (Accessed 11/17/08)
- Ryan, Steve. "Jigging Success for Winter Pike." Lake-Link. http://www.lake-link.com/articles/read/article.cfm?ArticleID=266 (Accessed 11/16/08)
- Salmgren, Harry. "Swedish and Finnish Northern Pike Fishing Unlimited." Fine Fishing.http://www.finefishing.com/castingskills/swedishpike.htm (Accessed 11/17/08)
- "Summer Pike Fishing Tips." Pike Anglers Club of Great Britain. http://www.pacgb.co.uk/tips/summer.html (Accessed 11/17/08)
- "Sweden." Go Fishing Worldwide. http://www.go-fishing-worldwide.com/freshwater_sweden.htm (Accessed 11/17/08)
- "Trophy Northern Pike Fishing in Early Winter." Nodak Outdoors. http://www.nodakoutdoors.com/trophy-pike-ice-fishing.php (Accessed 11/16/08)
- "Special Winter Tours." Ural Expeditions and Tours. http://welcome-ural.ru/urals/240/456/505/ (Accessed 11/17/08)
- Vick, Noah. "Tactics for Big Spring Pike." Game and Fish Magazine.http://www.gameandfishmag.com/fishing/muskies-pike-fishing/gf_aa036702a/ (Accessed 11/16/08)
- von Klinken, Hans. "Pike Fishing." Rackelhanen: Fly Fishing magazine.http://www.rackelhanen.se/eng/10307.htm (Accessed 11/18/08)
- "Yukon Fishing." Department of Tourism and Culture.http://www.environmentyukon.gov.yk.ca/yukonfishing/index.html (Accessed 11/17/08)