Muskie Trolling With a Planner Board
Save the best for last. While there are many ways to fish for muskie, there is one tried-and-true method that a majority if anglers use. Trolling with a planner board is the most common way of fishing for muskie. A planner board takes the lines and spreads them out, giving them all their own space. And they're not just for big rig. They can be attached to most boats [source: Devine]. This is especially helpful for little boats that don't necessarily have the room for multiples lines. The board can spread the lines quite far away from the boat and increase your chances at a catch.
To use a planer board, you'll want to follow these basic steps:
- Let the planner board out using reels attached to the left boom.
- Let the deepest line (which should be the most outside line) out about 100 feet (30 meters) and let the release slide down the cord, stopping it just before it gets to the board.
- Set the inside line, which is the shortest, in the same way, letting out just 20 feet (6 meters).
- Finally, set your middle lines, only letting their release get half way down each line [source: Sternberg].
You're practically an expert now, right? Well, maybe there are a few more specifics you could stand to brush up on, but don't be afraid to get out there and practice. muskie trolling is a sport of perfection. Check out the links below for more fishing information.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
More Great Links
- Curwensville Lake Fishing. "Musky Facts." Accessed 11/22/2008.http://www.curwensvillelakefishing.com/MuskyFacts.html
- Devine, Bob. "Muskie Trolling." Fish Info. Accessed 11/22/2008.http://www.fishinfo.com/fishing-articles/article_349.shtml
- Idaho Fish and Game. "Fishing Glossary / Definitions." Accessed 11/22/2008http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/fish/glossary/
- Land Big Fish. "Muskellunge Records." Accessed 11/30/2008.http://www.landbigfish.com/staterecords/fishrecords.cfm?ID=15
- Muskie 411. "Muskellunge." Accessed 11/30/2008.http://www.muskie411.com/fishid.html
- OutdoorsFIRST. "Sexing Muskie." Accessed 12/05/2008)http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=35123&posts=14&start=1
- Reel Fishing Reports. "Muskie Fishing" Accessed 11/22/2008.http://www.reelfishingreports.com/muskie-fishing.htm
- Richardson, Scott and Ted Takasaki. "Predictable muskies?" muskie Central Accessed 11/22/2008.http://www.muskiecentral.com/takasaki_predictable.shtml
- Sternberg, Dick. "Northern Pike and muskie." Google Books. Accessed 11/22/2008http://books.google.com/books?id=ttiYPWa4YPAC&pg=PA108&lpg=PA108&dq=muskie+trolling+with+a+downrigger&source=web&ots=bCZECL8INL&sig=3DGSiZQ2BFNn3IE8a9WJNq5jYFA&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result#PPA109,M1
- Take Me Fishing. "Muskellunge - Esox masquinongy." Accessed 11/22/2008http://www.takemefishing.org/fishing/fishopedia/species-explorer/details/overview/fish/muskellunge