There are not many rules with limb line catfishing. Imagine a rope swing hanging above a pond or river. Now, imagine the rope swing going all the way down to the water with some bait on it. Presto! You have a limb line.
The trick to limb line fishing is finding the right tree. Choose a flexible green limb that hangs low over the water [source: Texas Catfishin' Resource]. You want a flexible limb because your giant catch will probably snap old or ragged limbs.
Here are tips for successful limb line fishing:
- Alternate your bait and your hook.
- Tie live bait just below the water's surface, so the bait makes a lot of noise and attracts the catfish [source: Texas Catfishin' Resource].
- Drop artificial baits deep into the water [source: Eggertson].
- Try different baits on each limb line you set to find out which ones work best in the areas you're fishing.
Because flathead catfish can get big, use large, heavy hooks or consider circle hooks. Flatheads have been known to flatten out J-style hooks on limb lines [source: Texas Sportsman]. As with the other forms of catfishing, check your limb lines every couple of hours. Limb lines are the easiest line to set and sink over and over again, which can dramatically increase your day's catch.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- AP. "Largest North American catfish in captivity dies." 11/07/08. http://www.nebraska.tv/Global/story.asp?S=9313170 (Accessed 11/11/08)
- Catfish Ed. "Catfish Baits" http://www.catfished.com/bait.html (accessed 11/12/08)
- Central Florida News 13. "Walking Catfish Startle Residents." 07/21/08. http://www.cfnews13.com/News/Local/2008/7/16/walking_catfish_startle_residents.html (Accessed 11/12/08)
- Clark Baits. "All About Fishing For Catfish." http://www.clark-baits.com/fishing_for_catfish.html (accessed 11/12/08)
- Clemons, Doug. "Hunting Flathead Catfish." Missouri Conservationist. Vol. 58, no. 5. 05/1997. http://www.mdc.mo.gov/conmag/1997/05/30.htm (accessed 11/12/08)
- Eggertson, Dan. "How to Catch Catfish With Trotlines." Ask About Catfish Fishing. http://www.askcatfishfishing.com/editorials/HowToCatchCatfishWithTrotlines.html (accessed 11/12/08)
- Eggertson, Dan. "Limb Line Fishing Tips and Information." Ask About Catfish Fishing. 02/14/08. http://www.askcatfishfishing.com/limb-line-fishing-tips-and-information.html (access 11/12/08)
- Moore, Chester Jr. "Going for Big Texas Cats" Texas Sportsman. http://www.texassportsmanmag.com/fishing/catfish-fishing/tx_aa085103a/ (accessed 11/12/08)
- Owen, James. "Grizzly Bear-Size Catfish Caught in Thailand." National Geographic News. 06/29/08. http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/06/0629_050629_giantcatfish.html (Accessed 11/12/08)
- Redneck Outdoors. "What is Jug Fishing?" http://www.jugfishing.net/ (accessed 11/12/08)
- Redneck's Catfish Bait Soap. "Different Methods of Fishing for Catfish: How To Catch Catfish." http://www.catfishbaitsoap.com/catfish-bait-how-to.html (Accessed 11/12/08)
- RogueTurtle. "Trot Lines and Jug Lines." 2006. http://www.rogueturtle.com/articles/trotlines.php (accessed 11/12/08)
- Samsel, Jeff. "5 Great Catfish Baits." Game & Fish. http://www.gameandfishmag.com/fishing/catfish-fishing/RA_0805_02/ (accessed 11/12/08)
- Texas Catfishin' Resource. "Trotlines." http://www.whiskerkitty.com/Trotlines.html (accessed 11/12/08)
- Sax, Lindsay. "Fishing not so leisure after all." The University Daily Kansan. 04/09/08. http://www.kansan.com/stories/2008/apr/09/fishing/ (Accessed 11/12/08)
- South Carolina DNR. "Nongame Freshwater Fishing Regulations." http://www.dnr.sc.gov/regs/freshwaternongame.html (Accessed 11/12/08)
- Texas Catfishin' Resource. "Catfish Limb Lines." http://www.whiskerkitty.com/LimbLines.html (accessed 11/12/08)
- West Virginia DNR. "West Virginia Fishing Regulations Summary." 2008. http://www.wvdnr.gov/fishing/Regs08/FISHregs08web.pdf (accessed 11/12/08)