The No. 1 rule for top water fishing is always to keep your eye on the lure. An explosion of bass from the water may happen at any second, so it is important to always remain attuned to what's happening in the water.
Tension on the line is also key. When maneuvering or just waiting for a bite, the line must be held tight enough so it doesn't tangle or get pulled away from you, but not too tight. Leave a bit of slack on the line and make a snapping motion with your wrist to set the hook [source: Bassdozer].
One of the biggest challenges anglers face in top water fishing is the hook. The excitement of seeing the bass about to bite will cause many to jump the gun. Once you feel the bass on your line, take a deep breath and wait until you feel the pull of its weight. Snap your wrist to set the hook, and then reel your fish in!
When top water fishing, use the lightest line you can find. This will allow for more maneuvering and movement with less work. If you plan on fishing top and deep waters, keep a rod with a top water lure close. When you see a bass top feeding nearby, grab the rod and cast your lure over to the fish [source: Cromwell].
The maneuver and retrieval are equally important in the success of a catch. The amount of noise and motion a lure makes is what attracts the fish to the hook. The speed of retrieval must be timed appropriately to capture and bring the bass back to you.
To find out more about top water bass fishing, visit the links below.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- How Bass Fishing at Night Works
- How Bass Fishing Swimbaits Work
- How Walleye River Fishing Works
- How River Trout Fishing Works
- How to Clean a Panfish
- How to Hold a Pike
- How to Choose Walleye Lures and Baits
- Top 3 Redfish Fishing Techniques
- Top 4 Redfish Locations
- Top 4 Catfishing Techniques
- Top 3 Perch Fishing Tips
- Do fish feel pain?
- How can catfish grow so big?
- "Bass Fishing Resource Guide: Top Water Lures." Bass Fishing Resource. (Accessed 7 Nov 2008)http://www.bassresource.com/fish/topwaters.html
- Bassdozer, Russ. "Topwater Talk." Bassdozer Worldwide Bass Fishing. (Accessed 7 Nov 2008)http://www.bassdozer.com/articles/topwaters.shtml
- Cromwell, E.S.. "Staying on Top for Top Water Fishing." (Accessed 7 Nov 2008)http://ezinearticles.com/?Staying-On-Top-of-Topwater-Bass-Fishing&id=1002319
- "Fishing-Top Water Lures." (Accessed 7 Nov 2008)http://www.academy.com/index.php?page=content&target=sports_tips/fishing/topwater_lures
- Illinois High School Association. "Board Approves Bass Fishing Terms & Conditions; Acts on Recommendations in Other Sports & Activities" May 2008. (Accessed 17 Nov 2008) http://www.ihsa.org/announce/2007-08/2008-06-09.htm
- Kugler, Trevor. "Some Great Tips for Top Water Fishing." (Accessed 7 Nov 2008)http://ezinearticles.com/?Some-Great-Tips-For-Top-Water-Fishing----Destination-Smallmouth-Bass&id=444382
- Roth, Robert. KISS Guide to Fishing. 1. New York: DK Publishing, INC, 2001.
- "When to Fish." Recreational Boating and Fishing Foundation. (Accessed 7 Nov 2008)http://www.rbff.org/uploads/Resources_section/Tip_Sheets/when_to_fish.pdf
- "Lures and Rigs." Take Me Fishing.org. (Accessed 7 Nov 2008)http://www.takemefishing.org/fishing/fishopedia/bait-and-equipment/lures-and-rigs/lures