Back in the lure aisle at the bass fishing superstore, you might be wondering why there's so much shelf space devoted to plastic worms. Can such a simple idea -- replacing live bait worms with colorful plastic versions -- really catch bass? You betcha.
One of the simplest bass lures in the business, the Texas-rigged plastic worm, is still one of the most effective. As we mentioned before, the classic Texas rig involves threading a hook through the top of the plastic bait and then burying the tip of the hook lower down in the belly of the lure, making it weedless.
When done correctly, a Texas-rigged worm lies straight in the water with only its tail wiggling behind. In this presentation, the lure looks less like a worm than a small baitfish.
Another popular technique for plastic worms is called the wacky rig. At first, it looks like the kind of thing a 3-year-old would attempt. The hook is pierced directly in the middle of the worm's body, and the two ends of the worm are left to dangle.
When a wacky-rigged worm is flipped and dropped around structures like logs and docks, the two dangling ends of the worm wiggle enticingly as it sinks. For whatever reason, this drives bass crazy.
Now you're ready to get out on the water and try these 10 bass lures for yourself. But first, visit the links below for even more information on fishing.
- How Bass Fishing at Night Works
- How Bass Fishing Swimbaits Work
- How Walleye River Fishing Works
- How River Trout Fishing Works
- How to Clean a Panfish
- How to Hold a Pike
- How to Choose Walleye Lures and Baits
- Top 3 Redfish Fishing Techniques
- Top 4 Redfish Locations
- Top 4 Catfishing Techniques
- Top 3 Perch Fishing Tips
- Do fish feel pain?
- How can catfish grow so big?
- Bass Fishing and Catching. "Jigging Spoons." (Jan 2, 2012) http://www.bassfishingandcatching.com/jigging-spoons.html
- Bass Resource. "Glossary." (Jan. 1, 2012) http://www.bassresource.com/fishing_lures/bass_fishing.html
- Bass Resource "Grubs." (Jan. 2, 2012) http://www.bassresource.com/fish/grubs.html
- Bass Resource. "If They Could Only Have Four Lures." (Jan. 2, 2012) http://www.bassresource.com/fishing/one-lure.html
- Bass Resource. "Swimming Spoons." (Jan. 1, 2012) http://www.bassresource.com/fish/swimmingspoons.html
- Bass Resource. "Topwater Baits." (Jan. 1, 2012) http://www.bassresource.com/fish/topwaters.html
- Bruhl, Jeff. "Texas-Rigged Worm: Back to the Basics." Probass.net. http://www.probass.net/protips/JeffBruhl/jb2.php
- Burkhead, Lynn. "The Power of Plastics." Game & Fish.http://www.gameandfishmag.com/fishing/boats-fishing-gear/RA_0406_07/index.html
- ExtremeLures.com "Topwater Fishing Lures." (Jan. 1, 2012) http://extremelures.com/topwaterfishinglures.aspx
- Hicks, Mark. "Skeet's Year-Round Jigs." Bass Times. March 9, 2005http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/bassmaster/news/story?page=b_fea_bt_0304_tips_tactics_skeet
- Iaconelli, Mike. "Topwater - A really misconceived type of lure." Bass Resource. (Jan. 2, 2012) http://www.bassresource.com/fishing/topwater_bass_fishing_baits.html
- Ingram, Bruce. "Bass Fishing's All-Purpose Bait: The Grub." Game & Fish Magazine. Sept. 24, 2010. (Jan. 2, 2012) http://www.gameandfishmag.com/2010/09/24/fishing_bass-fishing_gf_aa016204a/
- Martin, Tommy. "Rat-L-Trap Colors." Bass Resource. http://www.bassresource.com/fishing/Rat-L-Traps.html
- Merwin, John. "John Merwin's New 50 Best Lures for Bass, Trout, Walleye and Crappie." Field & Stream.http://www.fieldandstream.com/article_gallery/John-Merwins-New-50-Best-Lures-For-Bass,-Trout,-Walleye,-and-Crappie
- Moore, John II. "Top This." Florida Fish and Hunt.com (Jan. 2. 2012) http://www.floridafishandhunt.com/articles/fishing-articles/fishing-lures/top-water/top-this.htm
- Ratley, Jim. "Topwater Baits Explained." Bass Resource. (Jan. 2, 2012) http://www.bassresource.com/fishing/topwater_baits.html
- Staples, Bonita. "Buzzbaits & Other Topwaters." Bass Resource. (Jan. 2, 2012) http://www.bassresource.com/fishing/topwater_bass_fishing.html
- Staples, Bonita. "Spinnerbait Basics." Bass Resource.http://www.bassresource.com/beginner/spinnerbait_bass_fishing.html
- Stuart, Charles. "Topwater All Day." Bass Resource. (Jan. 2, 2012) http://www.bassresource.com/fishing/topwater_bass.html
- Tackle Tour. "Lure Review: Fishing sophisticated jigs and time-honored pigs from Uncle Josh." April 5, 2004http://www.tackletour.com/reviewunclejoshjig.html
- Wiegmann, Brad. "Six Must Have Pond Lures." Pond Boss Magazine. Sept. 1, 2010. (Jan. 1, 2011) http://www.bassresource.com/fishing/bass-lures.html
- Williams, Matt. "Bill Lewis Rat-L-Trap still producing big results decades down the road." The Statesman. Jan. 27, 2008 http://www.statesman.com/news/content/region/ET_Outdoors/stories/2008/01/27/Outdoors.html
- Wirth, Don. "Catch Bass on Lipless Crankbaits." Bassmaster Magazine. March 2007http://proxy.espn.go.com/outdoors/bassmaster/members/insider/bmmarchive/column?page=b_col_bass_basics_BMM0703
The bass spawn is an interesting time of year for anglers. Learn all about the bass spawn and how it affects fishing at HowStuffWorks.