Lots More Information
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Compass Quiz
- How the American Alpine Club Works
- How Backpacking Works
- How Off-roading Works
- How Ultralight Backpacking Works
- How to Pack a Backpack
- How to Read a Topographic Map
- How to Use a Flare Gun
- What exercises will prepare me for hiking?
- How does wool keep you warm even when it's wet?
- Which is better for navigation -- compass or GPS?
More Great Links
- Adventure Crossing, "American Hiking Society History Video."http://www.americanhiking.org/About-Us/Video.aspx
- American Hiking Society. (October 26, 2009)http://www.americanhiking.org
- Gluck, Pam. "The National Trails System: a grand experiment." American Trails Magazine. Vol. 37, no. 3. Page 6. Fall 2008.http://atfiles.org/files/pdf/ATMfinalFall08.pdf
- Harnik, Peter. "History of the Rail-Trail Movement." Rails-to-Trails Conservancy. 2007. (October 28, 2009) http://www.railstotrails.org/ourWork/trailBasics/railTrailHistory.html
- Kemsley, Jr., William. "The Backpacker and Hikers Handbook." Stackpole Books. 2008.
- Kemsley, Jr., William. "Three Decades of Protecting Our Nation's Trails." American Hiker. Page 4. Fall 2006.http://www.americanhiking.org/uploadedFiles/News_Room/ProtectingOurNationsTrails.pdf?n=1932
- King, Brian B. "Trail Years: A History of the Appalachian Trail Conference." Appalachian Trailway News, Special 75th Anniversary Issue. Special Commemorative Issue, July 2000.
- Miller, Gregory A. "The Trail Ahead." American Hiker. Page 13. 2006.http://www.americanhiking.org/uploadedFiles/TheTrailAhead.pdf
- Montorfano, Celina. "A History of Hiker Advocacy." American Hiker. Page 9. Fall 2006.http://www.americanhiking.org/uploadedFiles/News_Room/HistoryofHikerAdvocacy.pdf?n=2230