As with other sports, mountain biking has its own set of rules, many of which were created by the International Mountain Biking Association. Here are few key rules to remember:
- Ride only on open trails. Always follow the signs and route markers, and get to know the trails well.
- Stay in control. Watch your speed, slow down around tight corners, and don't try any tricks beyond your skill level.
- Yield the trail. When you get near another person, slow down. Let them know you're approaching and signal that you want to pass.
- Be prepared. Bring along a repair kit and extra supplies, so you don't get stuck out on the trail.
- Clean up. Any trash you bring with you should go back home with you or be disposed of properly.
- Watch out for animals. Never approach wild animals or startle them.