A huge part of the delight in traveling abroad is in the small things, like finding out-of-the way sites that only the locals know. A good trip planner keeps track of everything on your must-see list. If you have to pick a single app, TripIt provides integrated trip management, and it's free (an add-free upgrade is available for $4). It reads all the confirmation e-mails you send it, pulls them apart and puts all the pieces together in a really useful way. It also lets you share itinerary details with friends and family. You save time and energy you would have spent trying to keep up with your itinerary and confirmation data. It's like having a personal assistant you never have to pay.
No mobile app can be completely good at everything, and there are a couple of other general travel apps you might consider based on your priorities. For example, Trip Advisor's mobile app is famous for its highly regarded reviews of restaurants, hotels and airlines. Another contender worth your attention is price-aggregator Kayak, which searches across a multitude of sources to track down rock-bottom rates for flights, cars and hotels.
Let these economy-focused apps work for you, and you'll always have reasonably-priced adventure at your fingertips.
- Top 10 Stress-free Road Trip Ideas
- 10 Best Snacks for a Road Trip
- 10 Gadgets for Your Next Road Trip
- 10 Tips for Planning a Cross-country Road Trip
- Top 10 Most Beautiful Drives in the United States
- 10 Great iPhone Apps
- How to Save Money While on a Road Trip
- How to Use Travel Booking Sites
- How to Experience a City in a Weekend
- What's so special about Route 66?
- What was the first cross-country U.S. road trip?
- What are some fun things to do on a road trip?
- Can you transfer road trip plans to your GPS?
More Great Links
- Apple. "Apps for Traveling." (July 13, 2011) http://www.apple.com/iphone/apps-for-everything/traveling.html
- Budget Travel. "The Ultimate Guide to Travel Apps." April 18, 2011. (July 13, 2011) http://www.budgettravel.com/feature/the-ultimate-guide-to-travel-apps,7217/
- Clark, Josh. "iPhone: Travel Apps Picked by an iPhone Expert." Budget Travel. Oct 19, 2009. (July 13, 2011) http://current.newsweek.com/budgettravel/2009/10/iphone_travel_advice_from_an_i.html#ixzz1SBo4Fut2
HowStuffWorks finds out the best ways to redeem airline miles and what to do if you don't have enough for your next trip.