A lot has changed on the tiny Pacific island of Bora Bora since it served as a refueling base for American troops in World War II. Long gone are the guns, warships and hostility. In their place emerged over-water bungalows, sailboats and a general serenity, earning Bora Bora the nickname "the Romantic Island." It's the definition of an island paradise, and consists of a lush, green central island surrounded by a turquoise lagoon and a coral reef. Water temperature in the lagoon fluctuate just five degrees all year -- from 79 degrees Fahrenheit (26 Celsius) in the winter to 84 Fahrenheit (29 Celsuis) in the summer. In fact, Bora Bora is so beautiful and the weather so ideal that some of the soldiers stationed on the island during World War II refused to go home when the war ended.
You and your loved one won't want to leave, either, after a night in an over-water hut at the luxurious Bora Bora Hotel, which puts snorkeling and swimming just off your front porch. At mealtime, try a local dish concocted from sweet coconut, vanilla and seafood, but be sure to find your way to Bloody Mary's, an American-style restaurant where you might just run into a celebrity. Other activities include shark-feeding expeditions and sunset tours around the island in traditional Polynesian outriggers. Perhaps the ideal romantic getaway, Bora Bora lacks the loud culture and wild nightlife of many Pacific and Caribbean islands, giving it a peaceful reputation that is ideal for travelers seeking love.
- "50 Romantic Retreats." Travel and Leisure Magazine. February 2003. (April 16, 2010).http://www.travelandleisure.com/articles/50-romantic-retreats/1#
- "Angele." Travel and Leisure Magazine. 2010. (April 16, 2010)http://www.travelandleisure.com/restaurants/angele
- Auvil, Jennifer Plum. "Matira Beach, Bora Bora: Explore Bora Bora's Best Beach." The Travel Channel. 2010. (April 18, 2010)http://www.travelchannel.com/Places_Trips/Travel_Ideas/Beaches/Beach_Guide/Matira_Beach_Bora_Bora
- Bobo Hotel. 2004. (April 14, 2010)http://www.bobohotel.com/english/index.html
- "Bora Bora." Tahiti Tourisme Official Web Site. 2010. (April 18, 2010).http://www.tahiti-tourisme.com/islands/borabora/bora-bora.asp
- Bridal Association of America. "The Wedding Report." 2010. (April 11, 2010)http://www.bridalassociationofamerica.com/Wedding_Statistics/
- "Buenos Aires: Overview." The New York Times. 2010. (April 14, 2010)http://travel.nytimes.com/travel/guides/central-and-south-america/argentina/buenos-aires/overview.html
- "Canyonlands." National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior. April 10, 2010. (April 18, 2010)http://www.nps.gov/cany/index.htm
- Cochran, Courtney. "Make Love, Not Wine." WineCountry.com. 2010. (April 16, 2010)http://www.winecountry.com/writers/w001/010207_savvy_romanticgetaways.html
- "Facts about Niagara Falls." The Official Site of the City of Niagara Falls. 2010. (April 15, 2010)http://www.niagarafalls.ca/about_niagara_falls/for_students.asp
- Flint, Sunshine and others. "Romantic City Getaways." Travel and Leisure. April 2006. (April 11, 2010)http://www.travelandleisure.com/articles/romance-romance-and-the-city/1
- Franson, Paul. "Napa and Sonoma's Best Winery Tours." Food and Wine Magazine. October 2007. (April 16, 2010)http://www.foodandwine.com/articles/napa-and-sonoma-best-winery-tours
- Harvey, Steenie. " Valentine: Lovebirds and the Raging Torrent of Emotion." The Independent (London). Feb. 14, 1998. (April 15, 2010)http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/valentine-lovebirds-and-the-raging-torrent-of-emotion-1144551.html
- King, William and Jimmy Hahn. Romantic New York City: A Guide to the Most Romantic Clubs, Restaurants, Bars and Hotels in New York City. Nashville: Magellan Press, 1997.
- Lee, Denny. "Argentine Nights." The New York Times. March 16, 2008. (April 14, 2010)http://travel.nytimes.com/2008/03/16/travel/16buenos.html
- Millburg, Steve. "Top 10 Romantic Escapes." Coastal Living. Feb. 6, 2007. (April 11, 2010)http://www.cnn.com/2007/TRAVEL/DESTINATIONS/02/01/romantic.places/index.html
- "Most Romantic Caribbean Sunsets." Travel and Leisure Magazine. December 2008. (April 16, 2010)http://www.travelandleisure.com/articles/most-romantic-caribbean-sunsets/1
- Robbins, Tim. "A Romantic Date in Paris." The Observer. April 30, 2006. (April 17, 2010).http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2006/apr/30/paris.france.observerescapesection
- "Romantic Getaways." Conde Nast Traveller. 2009. (April 11, 2010)http://www.cntraveller.com/recommended/hotels/romantic-getaways
- Rueb, Emily S. "Romance in Every Nook and Corner." The New York Times. Feb. 12, 2010. (April 12, 2010)http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/02/12/romance-in-every-nook-and-corner/?scp=8&sq=romantic%20places&st=cse
- Saunders, Al. "Top 10: Romantic Couples Destinations." AskMen. 2010. (April 15, 2010)http://www.askmen.com/top_10/travel_100/119_travel_top_ten.html
- Sherman, Lauren. "America's Most Romantic Places to Visit." Forbes. Feb. 3, 2009. (April 11, 2010)http://www.forbes.com/2009/02/03/romantic-places-visit-lifestyle-travel_0203_romantic_places.html
- Shermans Travel editorial staff. "Top 10 Romantic Getaways." MSNBC Today. 2010. (April 11, 2010)http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/35316977/ns/travel-destinations/
- "There's No View Like the Sunset Grill's!" Sunset Grill. 2007. (April 18, 2010)http://www.moab-utah.com/sunsetgrill/
- "Top 10 Romantic Getaways for Couples." Reuters. June 13, 2008. (April 11, 2010)http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKTON30363020080613
- "Top Ten Luxury Wilderness Lodges in the USA." Luxury Travel Magazine. March 9, 2010. (April 18, 2010)http://www.luxurytravelmagazine.com/news-articles/top-10-luxury-wilderness-lodges-in-the-usa-14589.php
- Travelandleisure.com staff. "50 Best Romantic Getaways." Travel and Leisure. February 2009. (April 11, 2010)http://www.travelandleisure.com/articles/50-best-romantic-getaways-2009/1
- "Where to Hold Hands." The New York Times. Feb. 8, 2010. (April 12, 2010)http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/02/08/sweet-spots-for-sweethearts/#comment-612365
- "Wildflower Hall, Shimla in the Himalayas." Oberoi Hotels and and Resorts. 2009. (April 14, 2010)http://www.oberoihotels.com/oberoi_wildflowerhall/index.asp
HowStufffWorks talks to the experts to find out how to pack a suitcase better, how to fit more clothes in and which items to take and leave.