Communication is an invaluable tool in a parent's toolkit. Start early and repeat often. Explain the rules of the theme park to your kids before you go. Explain to them (and demonstrate) proper ride behavior: standing politely in line; waiting for assistance from ride attendants; making sure restraints are secure -- and leaving them in place; keeping hands and arms inside the vehicle; staying in the seat; and following the instructions of ride operators.
Instruct kids to look around and notice who and what is around them. Make sure they know to walk -- not run -- so they avoid collisions and possible injuries to themselves and other visitors. And don't forget to warn children not to slip past barriers into restricted areas at rides and around the park. Awareness of potential dangers keeps everyone safe.
- 10 Tips for Traveling with Infants
- 10 Must-haves for a Family-friendly Resort
- 5 Tried and True Family Travel Games
- 5 Tips for Packing Car-friendly Snacks
- Disciplining Kids on Vacation
- Should we bring our nanny on vacation?
- Should my teenager go on spring break?
- Are morning or evening flights better for kids?
- Is it safe for parents to travel without their kids?
- When is the best time of day to schedule my road trip?
- Gay, Lance. "Theme Park Safety." Tennessean. 2001. ExpertSafety.com. (May 16, 2010) http://www.expertsafety.com/articles/ThemeParkSafety.pdf
- Good Housekeeping. "Don't Even Go There: Sizing Up the Risk of the Ride." Good Housekeeping. 2001. ExpertSafety.com. (May 17, 2010) http://www.expertsafety.com/articles/DontGo.pdf
- Niles, Robert. "Top 10 Theme Park Safety Tips." Theme Park Insider. (May 17, 2010) http://www.themeparkinsider.com/safety/
- Saferparks. "Injuries." Saferparks.org. 2009. (May 17, 2010) http://www.saferparks.org/safety/injuries/
- Saferparks. "Safety Tips for Riders of All Ages." Saferparks.org. 2009. (May 17, 2010) http://www.saferparks.org/safety/tips/
- Saferparks. "Top 10 Tips for Parents." Saferparks.org. 2009. (May 25, 2010) http://www.saferparks.org/for_parents/tips_for_parents.php
Do you know how to pop your ears? Find out how to pop your ears in this article from HowStuffWorks.