I have visited National Parks around the country, including Yosemite. I need to give a shout-out to the National Park Service and to the rangers and other employees. They are almost universally friendly, knowledgeable and genuinely concerned about preserving our wilderness resources.
Like others, I've occasionally grumbled about the rules and restrictions that the NPS enforces in the parks. But the effort to keep these places as close to pristine as possible is an ongoing struggle and a difficult balancing act. That's especially true in a place like Yosemite, which could easily be overwhelmed by the flood of visitors. The rangers are working for us, and they deserve a lot of credit.
- Everytrail.com. "Hiking in Yosemite National Park." (June 15, 2012) http://www.everytrail.com/best/hiking-yosemite-national-park
- Kaiser, James. "Yosemite: The Complete Guide." Santa Monica, Calif.: Destination Press. 2007.
- National Park Service. "Bears & Food Storage While Backpacking." (June 15, 2012) http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/bearcanisters.htm
- National Park Service. "Campground & Campsite Information." (June 15, 2012) http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/campground.htm
- National Park Service. "John Muir and Pacific Crest Trails." (June 15, 2012) http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/jmt.htm
- National Park Service. "Park Statistics." (June 15, 2012) http://www.nps.gov/yose/naturescience/park-statistics.htm
- National Park Service. "Wilderness Permits." (June 15, 2012) http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/wildpermits.htm
- Wuerthner, George. "Yosemite: The Grace & Grandeur." Stillwater, Minn.:Voyageur Press. 2002.
- Yosemite Conservancy. "Custom Adventures." (June 15, 2012) http://www.yosemiteconservancy.org/custom-adventures
- Yosemitehikes.com. "Yosemite Hiking Trails." (June 15, 2012) http://www.yosemitehikes.com/hikes.htm