Easy Day Treks
An easy hike is a great way to spend a vacation day. Most of the trails in the Adirondack range lend themselves to daylong, family excursions, allowing you to bring a picnic, enjoy the views and make it back by dark. Here are some recommended courses to check out.
Mostly a leisurely, easy for most hike with only a few tough spots is Black Mountain. You'll get a variety of lovely views of the northern end of Lake George, as well as the rocky peaks of Tongue Mountain and the Sugarloaf Mountains. The reward at the peak is an abandoned fire tower, an outpost up until the 1970s for fire wardens on forest-fire watch. After or during the hike, there's more recreation at one of three ponds via trails within a mile of the summit.
The Buck Mountain trail provides great views of the High Peaks of the Adirondacks, as well as Lake George and Bolton Landing off in the distance. This is a great place to start if you've never hiked the Adirondacks, but only if you've got some hiking experience, since it's of moderate difficulty level.
Cat Mountain is a 6-mile (9.7-kilometer) hike, and it has many different terrains and sights, including wetlands and even a beaver pond. Taking the side trail up Thomas Mountain leads to scenic lake-views, while other side trails are available in a variety of difficulty levels, allowing you to design your own hike day.
- Adirondack Mountain Club. "Adirondack Hikes You Might Like." 2011 (May 18, 2012) http://www.adk.org/explore_park/Hike_Ideas.aspx
- Adirondack.net. "Adirondack Hiking Guide." 2012 (May 18, 2012) http://www.adirondack.net/hiking/
- Adirondack Regional Tourism Council. "Adirondack Great Walks & Day Hikes." 2006. (May 18, 2012) http://www.adirondacklakes.com/files/2010GreatwalksBrochure.pdf
- Densmore, Lisa Feinberg. "Hiking the Adirondacks: A Guide to 42 of the Best Hiking Adventures in New York's Adirondacks." FalconGuides. 2010.
- McMartin, Barbara. "50 Hikes in the Adirondacks." Countryman Press. 2003.
- New York State Department of Environmental Conservation. "Adirondack Trail Information." 2012 (May 18, 2012) http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7865.html
- New York State Outdoor Guides Association. "New York State Licensed Guides - Hiking." 2012 (May 18, 2012) http://www.nysoga.org/hiking.html
- Starmer, Timothy. "Five-Star Trails in the Adirondacks: A Guide to the Most Beautiful Hikes." Menasha Ridge Press. 2010.