Six Flags Great Adventure in Jackson is all about the biggest, the fastest, and the most. It is considered the largest regional amusement park in the country, and covers 2,200 acres and has more than 200 amusement rides, including some of the fastest thrill rides anywhere in the world. It encompasses two other parks: Wild Safari, the largest drive-through safari park outside of Africa, and Hurricane Harbor, one of the largest water parks in the world.
Wild Safari's 4.5-mile drive-through park takes you past zebras, baboons, giraffes, hippos, and more, all seen from the safety and comfort of your car. Hurricane Harbor has all the water park classics: raft rides, steep and fast slides, wave pools, and lazy river rides.
The theme park's comprehensive roller-coaster collection includes some of the steepest, tallest, and fastest heart-pounding rides around. All the special terminology used by roller-coaster enthusiasts -- inversions, zero gravity rolls, high g-force speed, corkscrews, spirals, and hammerheads -- is at work here. The park caters to younger children, too, at Looney Tunes Seaport and Koala Canyon. Plus, there are water-ski shows, concerts, and performances all season.
Six Flags Great Adventure Information
Address: 1 Six Flags Blvd., Jackson, NJ
Hours of Operation: Hours vary
Admission: $59.99 adults; 29.99 kids
To learn more about family vacation destinations, see:
- Family Vacations: Learn about hundreds of family vacations in destinations all over North America.
- New Jersey State Guide: Learn about Mobil Travel Guide-rated hotels and restaurants in New Jersey, as well as other recreational activities.
- Scenic Drives: For those who think that getting there is half the fun, we have compiled more than 100 of the most scenic drives throughout the country.
- New York City Guide: Find out where to stay, what to do, and where to eat when you visit the Capital of the World.
- New York State Guide: Learn about Mobil Travel Guide-rated hotels and restaurants in New York, as well as other recreational activities.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
Laura Sutherland is a widely acknowledged authority on family travel and has published several books on the topic, including Best Family Ski Vacations In North America and Tropical Family Vacations.