Traveling on holiday will give your children a better appreciation of the world around them and get you all out of the house to enjoy some fresh air. To make sure you're as safe on the road as you are at home, observe these precautions:
- Tell someone where you're going and when you'll be back.
- Be vigilant in crowds and keep your children nearby and in your line of sight. Never leave your valuables, like your handbag, wallet, luggage, keys or identification unattended.
- Avoid traveling with expensive items like high-end electronics or valuable jewelry.
- Don't give out your personal information or reveal your plans to strangers.
In the excitement of holiday fun, it's easy for children to forget about safety. Discuss activity specific safety measures with them before you head out for an event. Whether it's about safe practices around strangers or making sure there's a lifeguard on duty at the pool, remind your children about the rules. You want them to have a terrific and safe holiday.
- 10 Tips for Keeping Your Home Safe While on Vacation
- 5 Tried and True Family Travel Games
- 10 Great Snacks for the Plane
- 10 Tips for Finding Family-friendly Hotels
- 10 Tips for Handling Tantrums on Vacation
- Save or Splurge: 10 Suggestions on What's Worth the Spend When You're on Vacation
- 10 Family-friendly Pool Games
- American Academy of Pediatrics. "Spring Break Safety Tips." 2/2010. (2/13/11).http://www.aap.org/advocacy/releases/marspringbreaktips.cfm
- Bargain Travel. "Spring Break Tips From AAA." 2/3/10. (2/13/11).http://www.bargaintravel.com/spring_break_tips_from_aaa.html
- Beech, Linda. "Spring Break Tips for Parents." 3/17/09. (2/13/11).http://swktalk.com/livingwell/spring-break-tips-for-parents/
- CDC. "Spring Break Health and Safety Tips." 9/1/10. (2/13/11).http://www.cdc.gov/family/springbreak/
- Chiff. "Spring Break Countdown - Safety Tips for Spring Break Travel." Undated. (2/13/11).http://www.chiff.com/a/spring-break-tips.htm
- College Tips. "College Spring Break Tips." Undated. (2/13/11).http://www.collegetips.com/college-parties/spring-break.php
- Family Travel Network. "Six Great Family Road Trips." Undated. (2/13/11).http://www.familytravelnetwork.com/articles/six_great_family_road_trips.asp
- Guppys "Top 8 Family Spring Break Vacation Tips - Santa Barbara." Undated. (2/13/11).http://www.guppys.biz/top-8-family-spring-break-vacation-tips-santa-barbara.html
- McGolerick, Elizabeth Weiss. "Avoid Spring Break Disasters." 3/1/10. (2/13/11).http://www.sheknows.com/parenting/articles/813907/spring-break-safety-travel-tips-for-teens-college-kids-1
- Meacham, Michelle. "Air Travel with Children." Undated. (2/13/11).http://life.familyeducation.com/family-travel/toddler/36206.html
- Claussen, Nancy Lauck. "Use of Child Restraint Systems on Aircraft." NTSB.12/9/10.http://www.ntsb.gov/children/presentations/Claussen.pdf
- Safe Spring Break. "Safety Tips." Undated. (2/13/11).http://www.safespringbreak.org/safety-tips/
- Soberman, Jessica Kate. "Spring Break 2010: Alternative Destinations & Family-Friendly Vacations."3/9/10. (2/13/11).http://www.petergreenberg.com/2010/03/09/spring-break-2010-alternative-destinations-family-friendly-vacations/
- Talley, Ashley. "Spring Break Family Getaways." USA Today. 2011. (2/13/11).http://traveltips.usatoday.com/spring-break-family-getaways-11115.html
- Travel Tips and Guide. "Family Friendly Spring Break Getaways." 3/26/10. (2/13/11).http://www.eit-buaa.com/travel-guidesfamily-friendly-spring-break-getaways.html
- Trip Smarter. "Spring Break Survival Tips." Undated. (2/13/11).http://www.tripsmarter.com/panamacity/springbreak/tips.htm
- Underwood, Kristin. "How to Go Green: Spring Break." Treehugger.com. 2/24/09. (2/13/11).http://www.treehugger.com/files/2009/02/how-to-go-green-spring-break.php
Consider a spring break staycation if money is tight this year. Learn how your family can have fun with these 10 spring break staycations.