Back in the 1920s, surrealist artists, writers and thinkers like André Breton and Paul Éluard played a parlor game called Exquisite Corpse. One player would fold a piece of paper into thirds or fourths. Then he would begin sketching in the top section, making sure to extend his artwork just slightly beyond the first fold. When he was done, he would fold his section under, so that only the remaining blank sections were visible. The next player then connected his own drawing to the exposed bit of the previous artist’s drawing. Others followed until the entire page was filled. The end result was delightful, surprising and often surreal. In one example, exotic dancers sprouted elephant heads, grew umbrellas and melted into clocks [source: exquisitecorpse.com].
Exquisite Corpse is fun to play in the car precisely because the bouncing and rattling of a vehicle makes this surrealist game even more unpredictable. Add urgency to the game by setting a 1 minute time limit for each player to complete his or her drawing. The driver is the perfect timekeeper, since he or she will be busy keeping hands on the wheel and eyes on the road.
So, on your next road trip, ditch your Nintendo DS and holster your headphones. Time spent in the confines of a car will never be as fun or pass as fast as it will with this series of road trip games.
Can't get enough of road trips and road trip games? Find related HowStuffWorks articles and lots more information below.
- "About Exquisite Corpse." Exquisitecorpse.com. (July 13, 2011) http://www.exquisitecorpse.com/definition/About.html
- "Let's Go Roadtripping." St. Martin's Press. 2009. (July 21, 2011) http://books.google.com/books?id=69z1qsLK_qkC&pg=PA5&dq=road+trip+car+games&hl=en&ei=59ApTrSYHIKatwfUi7nXAg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CDYQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=road%20trip%20car%20games&f=false
- Stribling, Dees. "Fun Games to Play in the Car." Boy's Life. June, 2010. (July 21, 2011) http://boyslife.org/hobbies-projects/funstuff/13770/fun-games-to-play-in-the-car/
- Tellem, Tori. "Top 10 Road Trip Games." Edmunds.com. May 12, 2009. (July 21, 2011) http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/top-10/top-10-road-trip-games.html
- "The Game of Twenty Questions." Barelybad.com. (July 13, 2011) http://barelybad.com/20_questions.htm
- "The Punch Buggy Game." thepunchbuggygame.com. (July 13, 2011) http://www.thepunchbuggygame.com/
Itching for a road trip that is as exhilarating as it is memorable? Check out one of these five drives that you surely won't forget.