Plan Ahead for Pets
Although Fluffy and Fido generally make good travel companions, bringing them with you does take advance planning, plus extra thought once en route. In addition to the usual stuff like food, a pet bed and a leash, be sure you:
- Bring an appropriately sized carrier or restraint system since your pet will be in the car so much.
- Make lodging reservations at places that accept animals.
- Bring along your pet's medical records in case of an emergency.
- Stop every two or three hours so your furry friend can walk around and stretch.
- Give your pet water as soon as you stop, not right before you get back in the vehicle, or he could throw up once you start driving.
- Never leave your pet alone in your vehicle.
[source: Road Trip America]