Have Your Vehicle Serviced
The whole point of a road trip is the driving, right? There's nothing worse than starting a much-awaited (and well-planned) drive, only to have the car break down. This happens more often than you'd think, and you can lose entire days stuck in a small town, waiting for parts to come in so your car can be fixed. Ward against this possibility -- and ensure your safety -- by having your vehicle checked before you head out. The appointment should include an oil change, plus safety checks on:
- Tire tread and pressure
- Windshield wipers
- Headlights and brake lights
- Fluid levels
- Belts and hoses
- Spare tire and jack
Create your own car emergency kit by filling a waterproof container with:
- Jumper cables
- Flashlight and batteries
- First aid kit
- Bottled water and nonperishable snacks
And, make sure someone else on the trip carries a second set of keys in case the driver's set gets lost or locked in the car.
Now that you have these helpful tips for planning your cross-country drive, you just have one thing to do -- hit the road, Jack!
- Top 10 Stress-free Road Trip Ideas
- 10 Car Summer Maintenance Tips
- 10 Best Snacks for a Road Trip
- 10 Foods to Buy by the Side of the Road
- 5 Tips for Packing the Car for a Road Trip
- Top 5 Risks When Driving with a Pet
- What's so special about Route 66?
- What was the first road trip?
- What was the first cross-country U.S. road trip?
- How often should I stop to walk my pet on a long car trip?
- What is the actual cost of roadside assistance?
More Great Links
- American Automobile Association. "AAA Emergency Road Service." (June 30, 2011) http://www.aaasouth.com/Automotive/auto_ers.aspxs
- America's Byways. (June 23, 2011) http://www.byways.org/
- Brown, Angela. "How to Plan a Road Trip Vacation." USA Today. (June 17, 2011) http://traveltips.usatoday.com/plan-road-trip-vacation-12786.html
- Historic 66. "Route 66 Quiz." (June 17, 2011) http://www.historic66.com/quiz/
- Federal Highway Administration. "Interstate System." (June 17, 2011) http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/interstate/history.htm
- Federal Highway Administration. "National Traffic and Road Closure information." (June 17, 2011) http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/trafficinfo
- Greenberg, Peter. "Traveling Cross-Country." AARP. March 23, 2009. (June 20, 2011) http://www.aarp.org/travel/travel-tips/info-06-2009/greenberg_usa_trip.html
- Legends of America. "Legendary Route 66: Facts & Trivia of the Mother Road." (June 17, 2011) http://www.legendsofamerica.com/66-facts.html
- Roadside America. (June 30, 2011) http://www.roadsideamerica.com/
- Road Trip America. "How to Plan a Great Road Trip." (June 17, 2011) http://www.roadtripamerica.com/tips/How-To-Plan-A-Great-Road-Trip.htm
- Road Trip America. "Road Trips with Rover & Felix: Tips for Traveling with Pets." (June 17, 2011) http://www.roadtripamerica.com/Pets/Road-Trips-With-Pets.htm
- Road Trip America. "Using the Web to Find Best-Kept RoadTrip Secrets." May 30, 2004. (June 17, 2011) http://www.roadtripamerica.com/GettingOutThere/Best-Kept-Road-Trip-Secrets.htm
- Road Trip U.S.A. "The Routes." (June 20, 2011) http://www.roadtripusa.com/
- Waechter, Tara. "How to Plan a Road Trip Across the U.S. That Rocks!" Planning Fun Road Trips. (June 17, 2011) http://www.planning-fun-road-trips.com/plan-a-road-trip.html
- Waechter, Tara. "Road Trip Planning - Map Your Trip." Planning Fun Road Trips. (June 17, 2011) http://www.planning-fun-road-trips.com/road-trip-planning-map.html
- Waechter, Tara. "Road Trip Planning 101: Getting Your Car Ready for the Road (and Not the Side of the Road). Planning Fun Road Trips. (June 17, 2011) http://www.planning-fun-road-trips.com/road-trip-planning-car.html
- Waechter, Tara. "Travel Packing Tips, Tricks and Lists." Planning Fun Road Trips. (June 17, 2011) http://www.planning-fun-road-trips.com/travel-packing-tips.html
How does Swindon's Magic Roundabout traffic circle work? Learn more in this HowStuffWorks Now article.