Driving is an inherently dangerous activity, but when on a road trip you may pass through areas where hazards also include bad weather and crime. Weather can be especially scary for, say, a Southerner surprised by a snowstorm or anyone unknowingly in the path of a severe thunderstorm, so it's important that you stay aware of the forecast. Bring along a weather radio and tune in for watches and warnings if bad weather is looming. Consider pulling over for a little while if conditions look especially perilous.
When it comes to crime, most areas of the country are very safe, but it only takes one burglary to put a damper on your road trip. While traveling, pretend like you know where you're going and what you're doing, even if you don't. Criminals sometimes target cars with travel materials like roadmaps in the front seat and tourists who look confused. At hotels and restaurants, try to park your car where you can keep an eye on it, especially if you have luggage in or on top of your vehicle. If you need to stop for a food or bathroom break, choose rest areas, gas stations, or restaurants that are busy and well lit.
- Top 10 Most Beautiful Drives in the United States
- 10 Foods to Buy by the Side of the Road
- Top 5 Risks When Driving with a Pet
- Top 5 Most Dangerous Roads in the World
- How the Cannonball Run Worked
- What's so special about Route 66?
- What was the first road trip?
- What was the first cross-country U.S. road trip?
More Great Links
- Catchpole, Karen. "Gas-Saving Road Trip Tips." Travel and Leisure. May 2011. (May 15, 2011) http://www.travelandleisure.com/articles/gas-saving-road-trip-tips/1
- Environmental Protection Agency. "Driving Sensibly." May 4, 2011. (May 15, 2011) http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/drivehabits.shtml
- Edwards, Megan. "Romancing the Road." RoadTrip America. May 2, 2008. (May 15, 2011) http://www.roadtripamerica.com/travelplanning/Road-Trip-Tips-for-Couples.htm
- Hewitt, Ed. "Ten (and a half) Tips for Road Trips." The Independent Traveler. 2011. (May 15, 2011) http://www.independenttraveler.com/resources/article.cfm?AID=747&category=13
- Miranda, Jennifer. "7 Great Family Road Trip Tips." Travel and Leisure. March 8, 2011. (May 15, 2011) http://www.travelandleisure.com/travel-blog/carry-on/2011/3/8/7-great-family-road-trip-tips
- Sedenquist, Mark. "6 Tips for a Safe Road Trip." RoadTrip America. Oct. 22, 2006. (May 15, 2011) http://www.roadtripamerica.com/travelplanning/6-Tips-for-a-Safe-Road-Trip.htm
- Sedenquist, Mark. "Tips for a Great Family Road Trip." RoadTrip America. Aug. 12, 2007. (May 15, 2011) http://www.roadtripamerica.com/travelplanning/Tips-for-Family-Road-Trips.htm
- AOL Autos. "Summer Road Trip Tips." 2011. (May 15, 2011) http://autos.aol.com/gallery/summer-road-trip-tips/
- ASPCA. "Top 10 Tips for Safe Car Travel with Your Pet." 2011. (May 15, 2011) http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/pet-care-tips/car-travel-tips.aspx
- Valdes-Dapena, Peter. "Gas Saving Road Trip Tips." CNNMoney. April 22, 2008. (May 15, 2011) http://money.cnn.com/2008/04/22/autos/road_trip_tips/index.htm
How does Swindon's Magic Roundabout traffic circle work? Learn more in this HowStuffWorks Now article.