Glastonbury Festival of Contemporary Performing Arts
Held the last weekend in June, Glaso, as it is often called, showcases a wide range of musical talent. All types of rock music, as well as dance, folk and punk styles are on display at this outdoor venue in Pilton, England. The event covers over 900 acres (3.6 square kilometers) and consists of more than 700 live performances on more than 80 stages. While unofficial attendance has reached upward of 250,000 concert goers, strict enforcement in recent years holds attendance at around 100,000.
Glastonbury has featured acts such as David Bowie, R.E.M., Radiohead and the Pet Shop Boys. The event, which is a tremendous undertaking, is run mainly by volunteers. OXFAM International provides volunteers to work at the concert, and in return, OXFAM receives a sizable donation from the profits. If you plan to attend the festival, check the dates. Every five years or so, the festival typically takes a year off to give the organizers and the farm a chance to recover.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Brooker, Charlie. " Oh Good, It's Raining Again." The Guardian. June 25, 2007. (March 20, 2009)http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2007/jun/25/glastonbury2007.glastonbury4
- Pecknold, Aja. "Adam Zacks: Mother of Sasquatch!" Seattle Weekly. Sept. 25, 2007. (April 1, 2009) http://www.seattleweekly.com/2007-09-26/music/adam-zacks-mother-of-sasquatch.php
- MyDesert.com. "Countdown to Coachella.http://www.mydesert.com/coachella
- Montreux Jazz Festivalhttp://www.montreuxjazz.com/
- Nebehay, Stephanie. "BB King, Hancock, Black Eyed Peas Booked at Montreux." Reuters. April 2, 2009. (April 15, 2009)http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090402/music_nm/us_jazz_montreux
- Pareles, John. "Stoking Careers in the Frenzy of South by Southwest." The New York Times. March 22, 2009. (April 15, 2009)http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/23/arts/music/23sxsw.html
- Sasquatch! Festivalhttp://www.sasquatchfestival.com/
- Sisario, Ben. "Lollapalooza Tour Canceled Amid Weak Concert Season." June 23, 2004. (April 15, 2009)
- South by Southwesthttp://www.sxsw.com/
- "SXSW Could Have $110M Impact on Austin Economy." Austin Business Journal. Feb. 27, 2008. (April 1, 2009) http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/stories/2008/02/25/daily21.html
The Rose Parade is an iconic new year's day tradition for millions. Its floral-decorated floats are perennial faves. HowStuffWorks is wowed.