Conner Prairie in Fishers, Indiana, gives families the opportunity to travel back in time to the 1800s, where they can experience firsthand how everyday life has changed over the past two centuries. Known especially for its entertaining, yet authentic, presentation of the past, this living-history museum has several different areas replete with costumed interpreters and hands-on experiences that bring the past to life.
Prairietown is a restored and re-created 1836 Indiana frontier village. Be sure to visit Pastport, where families can dip candles, churn butter, and wash clothes on a washboard. At the 1816 Lenape Indian Camp, you can enter a Native American wigwam, learn to throw a tomahawk, help make a dugout canoe, and even chat with a fur trader at the trading post.
Step across a covered bridge to Liberty Corner, an 1886-era rural community, where visiting children can attend the local school as long as they behave accordingly. Conner Prairie offers summer camps, a pioneer program for young children, and special holiday events.
Conner Prairie Information
Address: 13400 Allisonville Rd., Fishers, IN
Telephone: 317/776.6000; 800/966.1836
Hours of Operation:
- March - Apr. 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. Thurs. - Sat, and 11 a.m. - 5 p.m., Sun.
- May - Sept., 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. Tues. - Sat, and 11 a.m. - 5 p.m., Sun.
- Oct. 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. Wed., and 11 a.m. - 5 p.m. Sun.
- Nov., first week 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Admission: $11 adults; $7 kids
To learn more about family vacation destinations, see:
- Family Vacations: Learn about hundreds of family vacations in destinations all over North America.
- Indiana State Guide: Learn about Mobil Travel Guide-rated hotels and restaurants in Indiana, as well as other recreational activities.
- Scenic Drives: For those who think that getting there is half the fun, we have compiled more than 100 of the most scenic drives throughout the country.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
Laura Sutherland is a widely acknowledged authority on family travel and has published several books on the topic, including Best Family Ski Vacations In North America and Tropical Family Vacations.