Tips for Planning Family Reunions
We're hoping that after reading this article, you'll have at least a few ideas about how to start planning your family reunion. Here are a few points to keep in mind so that everything runs smoothly from start to finish:
- Set a budget and stick to it. Everyone wants to have fun at family reunions, but there's no sense in going bankrupt doing it. Also, make sure everyone in the family can afford to partake in your plans -- a big theme park vacation may not suit everyone's pocketbooks.
- Keep everyone in the communication loop. Send out a "save the date" notice, and keep track of exactly who is planning to attend and who won't be there.
- For big events, assign different tasks to your family members. Have someone who's in charge of games and activities, someone in charge of the cleanup and so on.
- Offer plenty of things to do, but don't overdo it. You'll also want to have some "free time" built into the schedule so relatives can talk to each other and just enjoy one another's company [source: Neal].
- You can have t-shirts or other gifts specially made up for your reunion as keepsakes from the event. Make sure you have enough for everyone, and get sizes from your guests beforehand.
- Make sure everyone is on the same page. Create a schedule of events and ensure directions are clear.
- Bring enough food and drinks for everyone! Remember, it's always better to have too much than not enough.
These are all good tips. However, don't forget the most important tip for planning a family reunion: remember to have fun and include everyone! Families are dramatically diverse in ages and interests, but everyone wants to have a good time when they're together at a reunion.
For more information about family reunions and other related topics, follow the links below.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Family-Reunion.com. "Activities." (May 13, 2010) http://family-reunion.com/activity.htm
- Neal, Carole E. "Family Reunions - Celebrating Your Roots! Tips for Planning Your Reunion." African American Genealogical Society of Northern California. June 20, 1998. (May 13, 2010) http://www.aagsnc.org/articles/reuniontips.html
- North Landing Beach. "Family Reunions, Groups and Clubs." (May 13, 2010) http://www.northlandingbeach.com/campingvirginiabeach/en/camping-accommodations/family-reunion-camping-groups-rv-camping-clubs
- Walt Disney World Resort. "Large Party Accommodations at Walt Disney World Resort." (May 13, 2010)http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/planning-guides/in-depth-advice/large-party-planning/