Family Vacations in Colorado: Pikes Peak
Lieutenant Zebulon Pike first spied this 14,110-foot mountain along Colorado's Front Range in November 1806. But his attempt to scale the mountain that now bears his name was foiled by heavy snow, and Pike said the rocky pinnacle would never be reached. Never say never. In 1820, a party led by Major Stephen Long reached the top of Pikes Peak in two days. They were the first to see the commanding views from the mountaintop. Today, more than half a million people make it to the summit house each year. Of course, nowadays reaching the peak of the mountain is less daunting.
Visitors can hike the 13-mile trail to a height of 7,000 feet, or they can avoid breaking a sweat and take the cog railway (since 1889) or highway (since 1916) to the top. In fact, "America's Mountain" is the most visited mountain in North America. Only Japan's Mount Fuji has more visitors each year. Pikes Peak plays host to several annual events, including celebratory fireworks displays, a marathon, and the second oldest car race in the United States: the Pikes Peak Hill Climb, featuring 156 twists and turns on its 12.4-mile route.
Pikes Peak Information
Address: 10 Miles W. on Hwy. 24
Telephone: 719/385-PEAK, 800-318-9505
Hours of Operation:
- Memorial Day - Labor Day: 7 a.m. - 7 p.m., daily
- Day after Labor Day - End of Sept: 7 a.m. - 5 p.m., daily
- Oct - Memorial Day: 9 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Admission: $10 adults; $5 kids
Continue on to the next page for details about family vacations to Red Rocks Park and Amphitheatre.
To learn more about family vacation destinations, see:
- Family Vacations: Learn about hundreds of family vacations in destinations all over North America.
- Denver City Guide: Find out where to stay, what to do, and where to eat when you visit Denver.
- Colorado State Guide: Learn about Mobil Travel Guide-rated hotels and restaurants in Colorado, as well as other recreational activities.
- Scenic Drives: For those who think that getting there is half the fun, we have compiled more than 100 of the most scenic drives throughout the country.