Open all year, no matter what the weather, this king-size swimming pool in Glenwood Springs, Colorado, is more than three city blocks long. Located about 40 miles northwest of Aspen, it's the world's largest hot mineral pool and is naturally heated to a comfortable 90 to 93 degrees year-round.
Kids love cascading down the pool's two giant waterslides and playing in the warm, relaxing water. There are lanes for lap swimmers, diving boards, a special shallow pool for younger kids, and plenty of splashing room for everyone. Tired from a day of hiking and sightseeing? You can relax in the smaller therapy pool heated to 104 degrees. Pop a quarter into the "bubble chairs" for a special massage.
During the winter months, steam rises from the pool in thick, misty clouds, and snowflakes melt the second they hit the water. It's not uncommon to see swimmers hop out of the pool and do a polar bear roll in the snow on the deck. During summer, families pack up the picnic baskets and stake out their turf in the lawn area or on the patio next to the pool. It's a relaxing way to spend the day.
Glenwood Hot Springs Pool Information
Address: CO-82 and 6th St
Glenwood Springs, CO
Telephone: 970/945-6571, 800/537-7946
Hours of Operation:
- May - Sept: 7:30 a.m. - 10 p.m.
- Sept - May: 9 a.m. - 10 p.m.
Admission: $14.75 adults; $9.25 kids
Can't stand the heat? Get out of the pool and check out the slopes of Colorado's Telluride ski country town on the next page.
To learn more about family vacation destinations, see:
- Family Vacations: Learn about hundreds of family vacations in destinations all over North America.
- Colorado State Guide: Learn about Mobil Travel Guide-rated hotels and restaurants in Colorado, as well as other recreational activities.
- Scenic Drives: For those who think that getting there is half the fun, we have compiled more than 100 of the most scenic drives throughout the country.