Family Vacations in California: The Getty Center
Collections of world-class European paintings and sculpture may not sound appealing to many children at first, but the Getty Center's spacious layout invites exploring. Kids love roaming the center's gardens and patios and snacking at its outdoor cafe.
The museum is located atop a hill. Kids enjoy the tram ride to the top, where they'll find a stunning view of Los Angeles and a courtyard with fountains, benches, and snack bars.
On your way into the galleries, pick up a copy of the Art Detective Cards or the brochure titled "Family Fun at the Getty" to help guide your visit. Each exhibit features descriptions to engage children. The collections are housed in separate buildings.
When your kids have finished viewing the treasures in one building, you'll head outside to get to the next gallery -- a perfect way to explore the Getty's gardens, plazas, and pools.
The Getty Center Information
Address: 1200 Getty Center Dr., Los Angeles, CA
Hours of Operation:
- 10 a.m. - 6 p.m., Tues. - Thurs. and Sun.
- 10 a.m. - 9 p.m., Fri. - Sat.
To learn more about family vacation destinations, see:
- Family Vacations: Learn about hundreds of family vacations in destinations all over North America.
- Los Angeles City Guide: Explore the City of Angels -- Los Angeles is brimming with restaurants, shops, attractions, and the occasional celebrity hotspot.
- California State Guide: From north to south, California encompasses mountains, deserts, beaches, and vineyards. Learn about it all in our guide to California.
- Scenic Drives: For those who think getting there is half the fun, we have compiled more than 100 of the most scenic drives throughout the country.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Laura Sutherland is a widely acknowledged authority on family travel and has published several books on the topic, including Best Family Ski Vacations In North America and Tropical Family Vacations.