Lots More Information
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- How Scuba Works
- How Submarines Work
- What causes "the bends"?
- Is it harmful to breathe 100-percent oxygen?
- Why do my ears pop when I dive in the deep end of the pool?
- If water is made up of hydrogen and oxygen, why can't we breathe underwater?
- What if my scuba diving equipment failed?
- How Search and Rescue Works
- How Search-and-rescue Dogs Work
- How the Army Rangers Work
- Harrowing Survival Stories
- How to Survive a Shipwreck
- How to Survive a Plane Crash
- How to Survive the Freezing Cold
More Great Links
- "British rescue team heads for sunken submarine." guardian.com, August 17, 2000. http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2000/aug/17/kursk.russia4
- "Current submarine rescue services." janes.com, February 19, 2001. http://www.janes.com/defence/naval_forces/news/jni/jni010219_2_n.shtml
- "Deep Submergence Rescue Vehicle - DSRV." navy.mil, 2008. http://www.navy.mil/navydata/fact_display.asp?cid=4100&tid=500&ct=4
- "Deepwater rescue system ready to surface." businessweekly.com, May 30, 2007. http://www.businessweekly.co.uk/2007053030939/high-tech-archive/deepwater-rescue-system-ready-to-surface.html
- "Defence Projects: NATO Submarine Rescue System (NSRS)." armedforces.co.uk, 2008. http://www.armedforces.co.uk/projects/raq3f6dac45ad605
- "Drama documentary captures emotional meeting of Russian submariners and their British saviours." BBC, January 4, 2006. http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2006/01_january/04/sub.shtml
- "Liberty Bell 7 capsule raised from ocean floor." cnn.com, July 20, 1999. http://www.cnn.com/TECH/space/9907/20/grissom.capsule.01/
- "Remotely Operated Vehicles." uconn.edu, 2008. http://www.nurc.uconn.edu/technologies/rovs.htm
- "Russians saved in deep-sea rescue." BBC, August 7, 2005. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4128614.stm
- "Sorbet Royal '05." sorbetroyal.celex.net, 2008. http://sorbetroyal2005.celex.net/
- "Submarine plan breaks the surface." bbc.com, April 24, 2007. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/north_east/6587443.stm
- "Submarine Rescue Diving and Recompression System (SRDRS)." globalsecurity.org, 2008. http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ship/systems/srdrs-history.htm
- "Submarine Rescue: Ready for the Unthnkable." navy.mil, 2008. http://www.navy.mil/navydata/cno/n87/usw/issue_9/sub_rescue.html
- "Swede Momsen: Directing the Squalus Rescue & Recovery." navy.mil, 2008. http://www.onr.navy.mil/focus/blowballast/momsen/momsen7.htm
- "Swede Momsen: Diving & Rescue - Momsen Lung." navy.mil, 2008. http://www.onr.navy.mil/Focus/blowballast/momsen/momsen4.htm
- Brockman, Kristina. "Sorbet Royal '05 Draws to a Close." navy.mil, June 30, 2005. http://www.navy.mil/search/display.asp?story_id=18993
- Gabos, Doug. "Submarine Rescue Exercise Teams DSRV Mystic with Foreign Navies." navy.mil, 2008. http://www.navy.mil/navydata/cno/n87/usw/issue_12/rescue_exercise.html
- Gittings, Steve. "Remotely Operated Vehicles (ROV)." noaa.gov, 2008. http://oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/technology/subs/rov/rov.html"
- Piggot, Mark O. "ISMERLO Put into Action for Submarine Rescue Exercise." navy.mil, June 15, 2005. http://www.navy.mil/search/display.asp?story_id=18783
- Seenan, Gerard. "Deep-sea rescue team tells of drama and relief." guardian.com, August 10, 2005. http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2005/aug/10/military.russia.
- Shewman, McClain. "Allies surface from Deep Sea Rescue Exercise." navy.mil, 2008. http://www.csp.navy.mil/news/dsrv.htm
- Zask, Andrew. "New International Submarine Rescue Coordination Center Opens." navy.mil, September 29, 2004. http://www.navy.mil/search/display.asp?story_id=15339