On the afternoon of December 5, 1945, five Avenger torpedo bombers left the Naval Air Station at Fort Lauderdale, Fla., with Lt. Charles Taylor in command of a crew of 13 student pilots. About an hour and a half into the flight, Taylor radioed the base to say that his compasses weren't working, but he estimated he was somewhere over the Florida Keys. The lieutenant who received the signal told Taylor to fly north toward Miami, as long as he was sure he was actually over the Keys. Although he was an experienced pilot, Taylor got horribly turned around, and the more he tried to get out of the Keys, the further out to sea he and his crew traveled.
As night fell, the reception of radio signals worsened, until, finally, there was nothing at all from Flight 19. A U.S. Navy investigation reported that Taylor's confusion caused the disaster, but his mother convinced them to change the official report to read that the planes went down for "causes unknown." The planes have never been recovered.
- BBC News. "Bermuda Triangle plane mystery solved." September 13, 2009. (Accessed Jan. 12, 2012.) http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8248334.stm.
- Bermuda-Triangle.org. "Oddities and enigmas." (Accessed Jan. 12, 2012.) http://www.bermuda-triangle.org/html/oddities___enigmas.html.
- Encyclopedia Britannica Online. "Joshua Slocum." http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/548908/Joshua-Slocum.
- The Independent (UK). "Drama on the waves: The Life and Death of Donald Crowhurst.". October 28, 2006. (Accessed Jan. 12, 2012.) http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/drama-on-the-waves-the-life-and-death-of-donald-crowhurst-421934.html.
- Previously on this Day. "December 28, 1948: The Disappearance of DC Airliner NC16002." (Accessed Jan. 12, 2012.) http://www.previouslyon.co.uk/december-28-1948-the-disappearance-of-dc-3-airliner-nc16002-242.html.
- Time. "Investigations: The Queen with the Weak Back." March 8, 1963. (Accessed Jan. 12, 2012.) http://www.time.com/time/subscriber/article/0,33009,896573,00.html.
- UnMuseum.org. "The Mystery of the Bermuda Triangle." (Accessed Jan. 12, 2012.) http://www.unmuseum.org/triangle.htm.
Some people think artificial intelligence will overtake humanity. Find out what other future disasters could cause dramatic change at HowStuffWorks.