In 1986, the Jules Undersea Lodge(formerly a research facility) opened to the public. For years, it was the world's only undersea hotel and required, as it still does, a 21-foot dive in order to access the "wet" entrance room. Like many small vessels, the accommodations at Jules are comfortable and adequate but not particularly luxurious. Jules has two bedrooms, each with a double bed and a pull-down berth, a shared common room, and a shared restroom.
Travelers looking for a more luxurious underwater hotel experience should keep an eye on two underwater hotels currently under construction: Hydropolis in Dubai and the Poseidon Undersea Resort in Fiji. Poseidon's Web site features stunning renderings of what promises to be a remarkable underwater vacation experience, with individual glass-domed hotel rooms on the sea floor accessible by an elevator.
While you're waiting for the world's first luxury underwater hotels to open, you can whet your appetite for undersea experience at Ithaa, the world's first undersea restaurant on Rangali Island in the Maldives. Ithaa serves up Maldivian-Western fusion cuisine seven days a week, 5 meters below sea level in an all-glass viewing gallery with 270-degree panoramic sea views.
More Great Links
- "Dubai Aquarium and Underwater Zoo enriches experience with underwater photography and shark feeding." Burj-Khalifa.edu. Aug. 17, 2010. (Oct. 13, 2010)http://burj-khalifa.eu/featured/dubai-aquarium-underwater-zoo-enriches-diving-experience-with-underwater-photography-and-shark-feeding
- Glenday, Craig. "Largest Underwater Golf Tournament." Guinness World Records 2009. Random House Inc., 2009.http://books.google.com/books?id=aHYt0RNSDfgC&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false
- Kingsolver, Barbara. "The Lacuna." Harper Collins. 2009.
- Sawyer, Ty. "7 Best Snorkeling Spots." MSNBC.com. March 28, 2006. (Oct. 13, 2010)http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11881827
- Taylor, deCaries Jason. "Grenada." Underwatersculpture.com. (Oct. 13, 2010)http://www.underwatersculpture.com/pages/gallery/grenada.html
- "Unique Tourism Project: Branson Reveals New Underwater Toy." Tourism-Review.com. Aug. 2, 2010. (Oct. 13, 2010)http://www.tourism-review.com/unique-tourism-project-branson-reveals-new-underwater-toy-news2037
The allure of hidden treasure is irresistible to most of us. HowStuffWorks looks at five treasures that people are hunting for right now.