There are many things you can't do in China, but bungee jumping isn't one of them. At 764 feet (233 meters), jumping off the Macau Tower is the longest bungee jump in the world. The jump is the size of two-and-a-half football fields. Jumpers accelerate to a top speed of 124.27 miles (220 kilometers) an hour. It's a 4 to 5 second free-fall that then stretches the bungee cord 164.04 feet (50 meters) [source: Macau.com].
Author's Note: Top 5 Most Extreme Bungee Jumping Destinations
Although I won't bungee jump ever again (unless someone pays me a lot of money), I enjoyed it. The rush of the air as it slams against your ear drums is incredible. The disembodied scream is a bit jarring at first, but then you realize it's you screaming, and all seems OK. And the feeling of weightlessness as you bounce for the first time is pretty cool.
More Great Links
- AJHackett.com. "Myths & FAQ." (June 8, 2012) http://macau.ajhackett.com/company/myths.html
- Adventureblog.org. "A.J. Hackett To Attempt Record-Breaking Bungee Jump." (June 7, 2012) http://www.adventureblog.org/Tags/a-j-hackett/
- Afrizim.com. "Bungee Jumping at Victoria Falls in Africa." (June 7, 2012) http://www.afrizim.com/activities/victoria_falls/Bungee.asp
- Breaking News.ie. "007's bungee jump tops best movie stunt poll." Nov. 17, 2002. (June 7, 2012) http://www.breakingnews.ie/archives/2002/1117/entertainment/qlqlkfmhgb/
- Daily Times. "Protesters shut Nepal bungee jump bridge in ownership row." Dec. 23, 2010. (June 8, 2012) http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2010%5C12%5C23%5Cstory_23-12-2010_pg14_2
- Dawson, Robert. "6 Craziest Bungee Jumps on Earth." Adventuresportsblog.com. (June 8, 2012) http://adventuresportblog.com/6-craziest-bungee-jumps-on-earth/
- Kindelan, Katie. "Survivor of 365-Foot Bungee Falls Says 'Maybe' to Future Jumps." ABC News. Jan. 9, 2012. (June 7, 2012) http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/01/woman-survives-plunge-after-bungee-line-snaps-video/
- Macau.com. "Macau Tower Bungy Jump." (June 8, 2012) http://www.macau.com/en/shows_and_events/342
- Royal Gorge Bridge & Park. "Facts So Deep, You'll Dig 'Em. (June 8, 2012) http://www.royalgorgebridge.com/AboutUs/Facts.aspx
- The Herald Online.com. "Victoria Falls Bridge Turns 106." Sept. 20, 2011. (June 7, 2012) http://www.herald.co.zw/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=21627:victoria-falls-bridge-turns-106&catid=44:environment-a-tourism&Itemid=136
- Trekking Outdoor.com. "Bungy Jumping 007 Verzasca "Ultimo." (June 7, 2012) http://www.trekking.ch/en/bungy/bungy-jumping-007-verzasca-ultimo
The allure of hidden treasure is irresistible to most of us. HowStuffWorks looks at five treasures that people are hunting for right now.