No matter what the situation, in your car, at home or at work -- if you're stuck in a snowstorm, try and keep yourself entertained. A positive mental attitude and will to live is as important as any survival technique. Many people who are stuck or trapped try and think of future goals they want to accomplish. This gives them hope for the future and keeps the mind occupied and active. Play some word games or sing songs. Do anything you can to take your mind away from your dire circumstance. Before you know it, the storm will pass and blue skies will appear.
For more information on survival and all things weather, please enjoy the articles below.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
More Great Links
- Coleman Propane Stoves, 2008. http://www.coleman.com/coleman/ColemanCom/subcategory.asp?CategoryID=2010
- Frostbite Overview. webmd.com, 2008. http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/frostbite
- Hypothermia and Cold Temperature Exposure. webmd.com, 2008. http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/hypothermia-and-cold-temperature-exposure-topic-overview
- "Before Winter Storms and Extreme Cold." fema.gov, 2008. http://www.fema.gov/hazard/winter/wi_before.shtm
- "During a Winter Storm." fema.gov, 2008. http://www.fema.gov/hazard/winter/wi_during.shtm
- "How to Survive a Snowstorm While Stranded." health-disease-tips.com, 2008. http://www.health-diseases-tips.com/how-to-survive-a-snowstorm-while-stranded-183249.html
- Yares, Kat. "How to Stock Up for Winter Emergencies." ehow.com, October, 11, 2007. http://www.ehow.com/how_2149136_stock-up-winter-emergencies.html
- "How to Survive a Snowstorm While Stranded." ehow.com, 2008. http://www.ehow.com/how_2164476_survive-snowstorm-stranded.html
- "How to Survive a Blizzard in a Car." ehow.com, 2008. http://www.ehow.com/how_2073096_survive-blizzard-car.html
- National Snow and Ice Data Center. nsidc.org, 2008. http://nsidc.org/arcticmet/glossary/blizzard.html
- "Silent Snow, Lethal Snow." The New York Times, January 10, 1996. http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9507E6D61339F933A25752C0A960958260
Some people think artificial intelligence will overtake humanity. Find out what other future disasters could cause dramatic change at HowStuffWorks.