People often compare traveling on the Maharajas' Express to a luxury cruise on land. You make the trip from Bombay to Delhi in total comfort. India has a number of luxury train lines, but as of this writing, the Maharajas' Express is the newest and most opulent.
Whenever passengers enter or exit the train, the Maharajas' Express literally rolls out the red carpet. The staff on the train wears traditional Indian dress complete with turbans. The carriages feature rich details, and the train's passenger cabins all have individual air conditioning, TVs, DVD players and Internet access.
Passengers on this eight-day train trip get the royal treatment. It stops often for tours and museum visits, and you even get to share meals and high tea with different maharajas. During a stop in Jaipur, you get to play polo while riding on an elephant's back. Later in the trip, there's a planned photo opportunity with a tiger. Of course, no royal tour of India would be complete without a visit to the Taj Majal.
For more about riding the rails and other topics, make an excursion over to the next page.
More Great Links
- Baca, Ricardo. "A great train ride through Australia." Denver Post. March 23, 2010. (Nov. 21, 2011) http://www.denverpost.com/travel/ci_14710195
- BBC News. "In pictures: Qinghai-Tibet Railway." July 1, 2006. (Nov. 21, 2011) http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/5128684.stm
- The Blue Train. "The Blue Train Experience." (Nov. 21, 2011) http://www.bluetrain.co.za/experience.htm
- Engle, Jane. "Amtrak's Coast Starlight train classes up its act." Los Angeles Times. June 11, 2008. (Nov. 21, 2011) http://qa.travel.latimes.com/daily-deal-blog/index.php/amtraks-coast-starli-2029/
- Eurail. "Bernina Express (Switzerland)." (Nov. 21, 2011) http://www.eurail.com/eurail-scenic-bernina-express
- Exploring Ecuador. "Chiva Express Train Tour." (Nov. 21, 2011) http://www.exploringecuador.com/en_ar_chiva_express.htm
- Hutchinson, Alex. "World's Fastest Train You Can Ride Dumps Energy Like a Prius." Popular Mechanics. Oct. 1, 2009. (Nov. 21, 2011) http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/4219935
- Hynson, Colin. "A History of Railroads." Milwaukee, Wisc.:Gareth Stevens Publishing. 2006.
- Kerr, Michael. "India's Maharajas' Express rail journey." The Telegraph. May 22, 2010. (Nov. 21, 2011) http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/journeysbyrail/7748567/Indias-Maharajas-Express-rail-journey.html
- Ladatco Tours. "Chiva Express: Quito-Cuenca." (Nov. 21, 2011) http://www.ladatco.com/EC%20UIO-Chiva%20UIO-CUE.htm
- Lambert, Anthony. "Switzerland: Rail, Road, Lake." Guilford, Conn.: The Globe Pequot Press Inc. 1996.
- Okamoto, Isao. "Shinkansen Bogies." Japan Railway and Transport Review. Vol 6. pp. 46-53. March 1999. (Nov. 21, 2011) http://www.jrtr.net/jrtr19/pdf/Technology.pdf
- Rhatische Bahn. "Bernina Express - From Glaciers to Palms." (Nov. 21, 2011) http://www.rhb.ch/index.php?id=33?&L=4
- Smith, Mark. "Venice-Simpon Orient Express." The Man in Seat Sixty-One. October 2011. (Nov. 21, 2011) http://www.seat61.com/Venice-Simplon-Orient-Express.htm
- Southerden, Louise. "To the Roof on Rails." The Sydney Morning Herald. April 2, 2010. (Nov. 21, 2011) http://www.smh.com.au/travel/to-the-roof-on-the-rails-20100330-raew.html
- VIA Rail Canada. "Toronto-Vancouver Train -- Overview." (Nov. 21, 2011) http://www.viarail.ca/en/trains/rockies-and-pacific/toronto-vancouver-canadian
- Wolman, David. "Train to the Roof of the World." Wired. July 2006. (Nov. 21, 2011) http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/14.07/chinarail.html
The allure of hidden treasure is irresistible to most of us. HowStuffWorks looks at five treasures that people are hunting for right now.